[comp.sources.wanted] ALTERNATE ANSI DRIVERS

jordan@titn.UUCP (09/05/87)

Are there any faster ANSI drivers that allow, say, bigger keyboard
input buffers, as well as a new beep, and faster operation?

Thanks,
		Jordan

Jordan Bortz	Higher Level Software 1085 Warfield Ave  Piedmont, CA   94611
(415) 268-8948	UUCP:	(decvax|ucbvax|ihnp4)!decwrl!sun!plx!titn!jordan

boykin@custom.UUCP (Joseph Boykin) (09/07/87)

In article <208@titn.TITN>, jordan@titn.TITN (Jordan Bortz) writes:
> Are there any faster ANSI drivers that allow, say, bigger keyboard
> input buffers, as well as a new beep, and faster operation?

This has been discussed on the net at length, but given the net turnover
a summary is probably worthwhile.

There are two good alternatives to ANSI.SYS - I've heard that
there are at least two other companies producing products similar
to the second, but I have no experience with them:

	1) NANSI.SYS - A shareware device driver which replaces
	*only* ANSI.SYS.  It is faster than ANSI.SYS in general
	and it provides additional escape sequences which, if a
	program knows how to use them, will make the system
	perform better.  It also has a few other features,
	such as curing CGA snow, etc.

	2) FANSI-CONSOLE (Fast ANSI Console Driver) - A commercial
	product at $75 + $4S&H which replaces ANSI.SYS, and the
	console portions of the ROM BIOS.  Generally speaking,
	by installing FANSI-CONSOLE your type command will come
	out twice as fast, you can change the keyboard repeat
	rate, change the length of the bell, get a  255 character
	type-ahead buffer, etc.  After using it for a while,
	you'll find you can't live without it.  Note: it does
	require 100% PC hardware compatibility, PS/2's, PC Jr,
	Rainbow, etc. are all out.

NANSI has been posted to the net.  I haven't seen a new version
for quite some time.  The latest I have is version 2.2.

FANSI-CONSOLE can be had from:
	Hersey Micro Consulting
	PO Box 8276
	Ann Arbor, MI   48107
	313-994-3249
It can also be gotten for $62 from Programmers Connection or even
from us for $60 (if you own PC/VI).

Joe Boykin
Custom Software Systems
...necntc!custom!boykin

emv@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) (09/08/87)

Expires:

In article <782@custom.UUCP> boykin@custom.UUCP (Joseph Boykin) writes:
% In article <208@titn.TITN>, jordan@titn.TITN (Jordan Bortz) writes:
% > Are there any faster ANSI drivers that allow, say, bigger keyboard
% > input buffers, as well as a new beep, and faster operation?
% ...
% 	2) FANSI-CONSOLE (Fast ANSI Console Driver)
%       Note: it does
% 	require 100% PC hardware compatibility, PS/2's, PC Jr,
% 	Rainbow, etc. are all out.

Hersey Micro is working on PS/2 compatibility - I don't think it's
ready yet, but it's definitely on their priority list.

% FANSI-CONSOLE can be had from:
% 	Hersey Micro Consulting, PO Box 8276, Ann Arbor MI  48017
% 	313-994-3249

There's a bulletin board too, at (313) 994-3946 (1200 baud, 8/N/1 last I
checked) where the latest shareware release can be downloaded, and where
you can post questions to the developer.

Edward Vielmetti, U-Michigan Workstation Group, Ann Arbor MI
emv@umix.cc.umich.edu ; {uunet,rutgers}!umix!emv ; (313) 747-3744
Edward Vielmetti, U-Michigan Workstation Group, Ann Arbor MI  48109
emv@umix.cc.umich.edu ; {uunet,rutgers}!umix!emv ; (313) 747-3744

henderso@uoregon.UUCP (Mark C. Henderson) (09/09/87)

In article <208@titn.TITN> jordan@titn.TITN (Jordan Bortz) writes:
>Are there any faster ANSI drivers that allow, say, bigger keyboard
>input buffers, as well as a new beep, and faster operation?
>
>Thanks,
>		Jordan
>
>--
>=============================================================================
>Jordan Bortz	Higher Level Software 1085 Warfield Ave  Piedmont, CA   94611
>(415) 268-8948	UUCP:	(decvax|ucbvax|ihnp4)!decwrl!sun!plx!titn!jordan
>=============================================================================
There are two that I know of.
1. NANSI.SYS - This driver gives a shorter beep and faster operation. It is
   small and is compatible with all software that I know of. It is either
   shareware or in the public domain, I'm not sure. It also "snows" on more
   primitve CGA cards.
2. FANSI-CONSOLE - This driver allows larger input buffer, faster operation,
   variable beep length and keyboard redefinition. Sounds great but
   it takes about 40K of memory and is incompatible with a lot of software.
   FANSI-CONSOLE is loaded with features. You have to pay for the user
   manual though, the fee is about $70.00. The shareware version is
   supplied with an abbreviated users manual.

In light of this, I'm currently using NANSI.SYS. Both can probably be found
on your local BBS.

Mark

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (09/10/87)

In article <606@uoregon.UUCP>, henderso@uoregon.UUCP (Mark C. Henderson) writes:
> 1. NANSI.SYS - This driver gives a shorter beep and faster operation. It is
>    small and is compatible with all software that I know of. It is either
>    shareware or in the public domain, I'm not sure. It also "snows" on more
>    primitve CGA cards.

The newest version has code to avoid the CGA snow, and the source code for
the full driver is in the public domain.  (It includes C subroutines to set
"raw mode" in MS-DOS, and when used properly can paint a full screen on a
mono XT faster than you can blink.)  The author is Dan Kegel, who has done a
fine job on it.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

tait@misoft.UUCP (09/30/87)

In article <8967@ut-sally.UUCP> nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
>In article <606@uoregon.UUCP>, henderso@uoregon.UUCP (Mark C. Henderson) writes:
>> 1. NANSI.SYS - This driver ...
>
> ... the source code for the full driver is in the public domain.
          ^^^^^^^^^^
Does anyone in Europe have the source code that they would be willing to
e-mail ?
Failing that, any pointers on how to get hold of it would be appreciated.

T.I.A.

| Philip J. Tait, Marconi Instruments Ltd. | St. Albans, Herts. AL4 0JN, U.K. |
| UUCP: ...mcvax!ukc!hrc63!miduet!tait	   | NRS : tait@gec-mi-at.co.uk	      |
| Voice: +44 727 59292 x4549 Telex: 297221 | Fax: +44 727 39447		      |

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (10/04/87)

In article <660@gec-mi-at.co.uk>, tait@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Philip Tait) writes:
> In article <8967@ut-sally.UUCP> nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
> >In article <606@uoregon.UUCP>, henderso@uoregon.UUCP (Mark C. Henderson) writes:
> >> 1. NANSI.SYS - This driver ...
> >
> > ... the source code for the full driver is in the public domain.
>           ^^^^^^^^^^
> Does anyone in Europe have the source code that they would be willing to
> e-mail ?
> Failing that, any pointers on how to get hold of it would be appreciated.

Dan Kegel, who wrote the nansi package, tells me that a new version is near
release, and that it squashes a few bugs that caused obscure problems with
some display cards.  It is an excellent screen driver (I use it exclusively)
and makes an old, rusty XT look like it has an 80386 under the hood.

One problem: no suitable newgroup exists for IBM PC sources -- in particular,
comp.sources.ibm.pc does not exist, despite the very heavy traffic in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.  So I don't know where or how he might post it ...

--

windley@iris.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley) (10/05/87)

In article <9207@ut-sally.UUCP> nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
>One problem: no suitable newgroup exists for IBM PC sources -- in particular,
>comp.sources.ibm.pc does not exist, despite the very heavy traffic in
>comp.sys.ibm.pc.  So I don't know where or how he might post it ...

Many people have been posting sources to comp.bin.ibm.pc.  I know it
supposed to be for binasries, but 've seen a lot of source roll
through there.  The newsgroup has been inactive for several weeks, but
nothing like a new posting to stir things up.  I also heard that
comp.source.misc has a lot of pc code, although I haven't checked this
out.

Phil Windley
Robotics Research Lab
University of California, Davis

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (10/06/87)

In article <326@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, windley@iris.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley) writes:

> Many people have been posting sources to comp.bin.ibm.pc.  I know it
> supposed to be for binaries, but 've seen a lot of source roll
> through there.  The newsgroup has been inactive for several weeks, but
> nothing like a new posting to stir things up.  I also heard that
> comp.source.misc has a lot of pc code, although I haven't checked this
> out.

So what do people archive for the future?  WHY is there no comp.sources.ibm.pc?
Why should IBM PC users have to scrounge around for a place to donate their
source code, when other users (of atari, mac, etc) have their own groups?

Is this a conspiracy?   :-)