[comp.sources.wanted] rrn wanted

jcreight@oracle.UUCP (Jonathan Creighton) (11/05/87)

Way back in The Old Days, when I was a student at UC Berkeley, they had a
program called rrn that was a remote frontend to the rn news reader.
Does anyone know if this is a copyrighted tool and thus unavailable,
or if not, where the sources are?  Thanks,
			Jonathan Creighton
			hplabs!oracle!jcreight

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (11/08/87)

In article <345@oracle.UUCP>, jcreight@oracle.UUCP (Jonathan Creighton) writes:
> Way back in The Old Days, when I was a student at UC Berkeley, they had a
> program called rrn that was a remote frontend to the rn news reader.
> Does anyone know if this is a copyrighted tool and thus unavailable,
> or if not, where the sources are?  Thanks,

I think you're talking about the version of rn that works with the
nntp protocol for machines connected via ethernet.  I picked up
the nntp software from uunet some time ago.  It contains the nntp
server and support code, as well as some patches to the rn source.

Well, I spent too much time getting this to work and in the end,
it never did work well (It's a net of Sun 3's running SunOS 3.2).
I suggest that you obtain the latest version of the news software
up to patch#12.  At this patchlevel the readnews, vnews, checknews, and
postnews programs will work with the nntp server.  And the best part
was that it took me about an hour to implement.

	Evan Bauman
	Univ. of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan