[comp.sources.wanted] CSCOPE program

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (12/03/87)

From the ATT toolchest there is a program called cscope which generates
what looks like a tags like file for one's c programs, headers, etc. and
then gives you an interactive interface to the file, displaying all
lines which contain a variable, etc.

Does anyone know of a public domain program which works similarly - that
is, allows you to specify a series of files, then allows you to show only
those occurances of a specific variable in all specified files, etc.?

I dont have a Unix source license for my Apple II yet :-) yet I find
that programming without such a tool is rather drab.

Also, are there any other C programming tools out there to make a programmer's
life easier?  I know that lint comes on a unix and a IBM PC (if you pay
the right folks) but I need tools that will fit in a IIgs like environment
(pgms can use lots of dynamic memory, but they had better have a small file
size since without a hard disk one only has 800k to play with per diskette!)

I am looking for the names of useful public domain tools to make developing
C code and debugging C code easier.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

brianc@cognos.uucp (Brian Campbell) (12/10/87)

In article <361@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
> From the ATT toolchest there is a program called cscope which generates
> what looks like a tags like file for one's c programs, headers, etc. and
> then gives you an interactive interface to the file, displaying all
> lines which contain a variable, etc.
>
> Does anyone know of a public domain program which works similarly - that
> is, allows you to specify a series of files, then allows you to show only
> those occurances of a specific variable in all specified files, etc.?

Try the "C cross-referenence database system" submitted by Greg McGary
(sun!suneast!kumquat!gmcgary).  His description of the package follows:

     This  is  a  program  identifier database  package.  These  tools
     provide a logical  extension to ctags. (which is  limited in that
     it only stores the location  of function and type *definitions*).
     The ID facility stores the locations for all uses of identifiers,
     pre-processor names, and numbers (in  decimal, octal or hex). The
     id-database is  most useful  for maintaining large  programs that
     consist  of many  source  files.  The database  is  simply a  two
     dimensional   boolean  array   indexed  by   identifier-name  and
     source-file-name. For a given  identifier and source-file, if the
     identifier occurs  in the  file, the boolean  value is  TRUE. The
     database may be queried either by identifier-name or file-name.

> I dont have a Unix source license for my Apple II yet :-) yet I find
> that programming without such a tool is rather drab.

If you're planning on running this on a 16 bit machine, you will have to
make some extensive modifications.  The code expects you to have 32 bit
integers (it does malloc's on longs, and lseek's with integers).  I have
it working reasonably well on my AT and if necessary I can mail you my
changes ...
--
Brian Campbell        uucp: decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!brianc
Cognos Incorporated   mail: POB 9707, 3755 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, K1G 3Z4