[comp.sources.wanted] NNTP

dws@cseg.UUCP (David W. Summers) (12/14/87)

Could someone please point me to a non-FTP source for the lastest version of
NNTP (Net News Transfer Protocol?? I don't know...Just a guess).  It seems to be
a program that will let users on a local area EtherNet read the NetNews which is
all kept on one machine on the network, thereby saving duplication.  We are a
new site and have only been on the NET now for about two months.  I have seen
references to NNTP but have never seen a definite place to pick up this
software.  We don't have FTP capability, so we would either have to UUCP it or
have someone send it.  As I am a lowly undergraduate trying to pay the long
distance charges myself, if you decide to send it to me, please contact me first
so that I may know how big the source is and evaluate whether it is worth it to
me to pay for this.
   Any pointers to this software would be appreciated!
                                   Thanks in advance!
                                   - David Summers (NetNews SA)
                                   ..!rutgers!pbox!romed!actsn!cseg!dws
                                   ..!okstate!romed!actsn!cseg!dws
                                   ..!ihnp4!okstate!romed!actsn!cseg!dws

bob@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (12/15/87)

In article <290@cseg.UUCP> dws@cseg.UUCP (David W. Summers) writes:
>Could someone please point me to a non-FTP source for the lastest
>version of NNTP ... We don't have FTP capability, so we would either
>have to UUCP it or have someone send it.

Please see my article <3186@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> in comp.sources.d.
It will tell you how to get NNTP (and other useful stuff not generally
available elsewhere) via UUCP from osu-cis.  All you have to do is set
up your L.Sys file correctly and pay for the call to Columbus, Ohio.
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277

atoenne@laura.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) (12/16/87)

Yep !
We need the last version of NNTP AND RN too.
However we can't fetch them via ftp !
Any pointer to a mail/tape source would be nice.

	Andreas Toenne (postmaster @ unido.uucp)
	University of Dortmund, West Germany
	Department of Computer Science