[comp.sources.wanted] UNIX bbs program wanted !

remco@tnosel.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) (01/05/88)

 Can anyone tell if bulletin board programs are available
 for (V7 or sysV) UNIX-systems (sources required)? Public
 domain would be ideal, but commercial may also be interesting.

 Please reply via e-mail to: mcvax!tnosel!remco.

                       Ton Polderman & Remco Bruyne, TNO-IBBC
                       The Netherlands.

howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) (01/08/88)

 I would also be interested in UNIX System V Release 3 BBS Sources if there
are any in the public domain. I used to run a PC BBS several years ago, and
wouldn't mind starting another as long as the investment is minimal...

						Sincearly,
						Howard Leadmon
						cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!howardl
						(301)-335-2206

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (01/09/88)

In article <553@tnosel.UUCP> remco@tnosel.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) writes:

> Can anyone tell if bulletin board programs are available
> for (V7 or sysV) UNIX-systems (sources required)? Public
> domain would be ideal, but commercial may also be interesting.
>
> Please reply via e-mail to: mcvax!tnosel!remco.
>
>                       Ton Polderman & Remco Bruyne, TNO-IBBC
>                       The Netherlands.

There have been MANY requests on how to receive the source code for XBBS.
The author's address is as follows:
              Sanford Zelkovitz
              Alpha Computer Svcs
              5300 Orange Ave.,  suite 108
              Cypress, California  90630

The telephone numbers are as follows:
      Voice:  714-828-0286
      Data :  714-828-0288

The data line(s) can be accessed via uucp or direct call in ( XBBS ). To call
in as uucp, login as nuucp without a password. The voice line is accessable
from 7AM to 4PM PST.

The site name is alphacm and can be reached thru the following paths:
..........!ihnp4!hermix!ucla-an!alphacm!{root, sandy}
..........!ucbvax!ucivax!mickey!alphacm!{root, sandy}
..........!microsft!sco!hermix!ucla-an!alphacm!{root, sandy}

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) (01/11/88)

There used to be a BBS around here run on an AT&T 3b2 running System V and
a (I'm pretty sure) public domain program called UnAcess or something like
that... I don't know where to get it, if you're interested send me mail and
I can probably find out...

   __      _  _      _____   Bill Fenner      wcf @ psuhcx.bitnet
  /  )    // //       /  '                    wcf @ hcx.psu.edu
 /--<  o // //     ,-/-, _  __  __  _  __     ihnp4!psuvax1!psuhcx.bitnet!wcf
/___/_<_</_</_    (_/   </_/ <_/ <_</_/ (_

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (01/12/88)

in article <518@wb3ffv.UUCP>, howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) says:

>  I would also be interested in UNIX System V Release 3 BBS Sources if there
> are any in the public domain. I used to run a PC BBS several years ago, and
> wouldn't mind starting another as long as the investment is minimal...

If you want something really simple, check out the article I wrote in the
June 1987 issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal.  In it, you'll find the code I use
for a simple Unix bbs based on shell-scripts and a public domain xmodem
file transfer protocol.  Cheap at twice the price ...

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) (01/13/88)

In article <518@wb3ffv.UUCP> howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) writes:

> I would also be interested in UNIX System V Release 3 BBS Sources if there
>are any in the public domain. I used to run a PC BBS several years ago, and
>wouldn't mind starting another as long as the investment is minimal...

    I resisted the urge to post this to the net.

    SBBS is a BBS system that will run on practicly every UNIX or UNIX related
system with little or no modifications as long as it has standard UNIX commands
and the basic features of Bourne Shell (no functions)

    SBBS has many features like rot13, quoting peoples' articles with '>', etc.

    It should be released to the net shortly -- but until then I would be glad
to mail people copies.

		[> Rd
--
North Coast Computer Resources(ncoast) - 216-781-6201 (or 781-6202)

UUCP: ...uunet!amdahl!sun!mandrill!ncoast!robertd

sword@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Ronin) (01/14/88)

In article <518@wb3ffv.UUCP>, howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) writes:

>  I would also be interested in UNIX System V Release 3 BBS Sources if there
> are any in the public domain. I used to run a PC BBS several years ago, and
>
> 						Howard Leadmon
> 						cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!howardl

     I have found a copy of something called BULLETIN (which appears to
have originated from York University).  I don't know if it will work on
a Unix system, but it is written in C and comes with some of its own
header files as well.  I'll be glad to bundle it up (in TAR format) or
just send file by file to all those who request.  A Bitnet connection
is preferred but UUCP will be okay too.  If enough requests appear,
I'll consider posting.

..lar

-----
Larry Esmonde, Director of SWORD (Students Working On R & D)
Computer Science Dept.
Villanova University
Villanova, Pa. 19085

UUCP: {bpa,cbmvax,psuvax1}!vu-vlsi!sword  /  BITNET: sword@vuvaxcom

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Rich Garrett) (01/14/88)

[We haven't seen the line-eater since we sent Minnifield and Dixon after it!]

As quoted from <3199@psuvax1.psu.edu> by wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner):
+---------------
| There used to be a BBS around here run on an AT&T 3b2 running System V and
| a (I'm pretty sure) public domain program called UnAcess or something like
| that... I don't know where to get it, if you're interested send me mail and
| I can probably find out...
+---------------

How 'bout on ncoast:

ncoast Any ACU 2400 12167816201 ogin:-BREAK-ogin:-BREAK-ogin: uauucp

/usr/spool/uucppublic/unaxcess/unaxcess.tar.Z		if you have compress
/usr/spool/uucppublic/unaxcess/unaxcess.tar		if you don't

Current version is 1.0.2 plus the patches I sent out, plus a few other tweaks.
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
       {well!hoptoad,uunet!hnsurg3,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery

gws2@cblpf.ATT.COM (Gary Sanders) (01/15/88)

In article <1293@vu-vlsi.UUCP> sword@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Ronin) writes:
>In article <518@wb3ffv.UUCP>, howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) writes:
>>
>>  I would also be interested in UNIX System V Release 3 BBS Sources if there
>> are any in the public domain. I used to run a PC BBS several years ago, and
>>
>> 						Howard Leadmon
>> 						cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!howardl

In the PD area, There are two BBS available for unix.

	Unaxcess,	nice, but user interface was a bit awkward,
			installs fine on 3Bxx and xenix systems.
			Source available from ncoast!alberry
			bbs No. is > 216-781-6201

	XBBS,		Fido/opus like interface. Written for xenix,
			but has makefile for SYSV and 3B1's..
			Source available from alphacm!sandy
			bbs no. is > 714-828-0288

I have run both of these for my ham radio bbs on a 3B1.
Unaxcess had a better way to handles messages files, but the user
interface was a bit hard for my new users.

XBBS has a very nice user interface, but the way messages are handled
is a bit awkward to maintain. Buffered I/O now supported in Version 5,
this will help those of us not on PC's with smart I/O controlers.

--
Gary W. Sanders      {cbosgd|ihnp4}!gwspc!gws	AT&T Bell Labs (Columbus)
72277,1325 (cis)				N8EMR @ W8CQK	(packet)

wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) (01/18/88)

This request seems to pop up about once a month.  If you want a system
packaged like a BBS, unaxcess has been posted to comp.sources.unix some
aeons ago, so check your archive sources.  But really, don't you *have*
a BBS already?  BBSs provide two things: a discussion forum (you've got
netnews, or you wouldn't be reading this), and a way of downloading files.
One approach is to create a newsgroup and never expire the articles.
Alternatively, create a directory /usr/spool/uucppublic/bbs, with uucp
permissions set so everyone can request articles from it (so you don't
need to keep everyone in your L.sys file), and keep an up-to-date file
called /usr/spool/uucppublic/bbs/Index that says what files are there.
If the directory gets too big, make subdirectories.
	If the purpose of the BBS is to distribute MS-DOS software,
get the UUPC package, which lets people run uucp on MS-DOS.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs