[comp.sources.wanted] performance on HP

wgtr@cgch.UUCP (Graham Tritt) (01/13/88)

I have various HP 9000 systems and I would like a tool to tell me
how my system is running.  On HP-UX I don't have lastcomm or vmstat.
Currently I have some crude scripts based on who, time and ps
(they also make load on the machine) but there ought to be a better way
(like a C program).

Thanks for any input

If I can see further, it's because I stand on the shoulders of others ...
                                                        __________
    Graham D. Tritt                                     |   ______|__
    P.O. Box 302, 3000 Berne 25, Switzerland            |  |    _    |
                                                        |  |  _| |_  |
Telephone:  +41 31 82 34 79     +41 61 32 61 65         |  | |_ + _| |
Uucp:   wgtr@cgcha.uucp  uunet!mcvax!cernvax!cgcha!wgtr |__|   |_|   |
                                                           |_________|

tysko@pdp.cs.OHIOU.EDU (John Tysko) (01/16/88)

In article <572@cgchb.cgch.UUCP>, wgtr@cgch.UUCP (Graham Tritt) writes:
> I have various HP 9000 systems and I would like a tool to tell me
> how my system is running.  On HP-UX I don't have lastcomm or vmstat.
> Currently I have some crude scripts based on who, time and ps
> (they also make load on the machine) but there ought to be a better way
> (like a C program).

 Try contacting HP to see if you can _borrow_ a program called monitor.
I used one on a 9000/500 and it showed just about everything. I was able
to get a copy when we were evaluating a second CPU board for the 500.
(yes, they bought it). Watching the task switching and the processors
going from task to task was one of the most instructive things I have
ever done on UNIX :-).

    John Tysko      ...cbosgd!oucs!tysko

meier@hpfcls.HP.COM (Marcel Meier) (01/16/88)

I suggest you ask your local HP office for a copy of an unsupported command
called "monitor".  That should provide the information that you want.

Marcel Meier
Hewlett-Packard
Fort Collins, CO
hplabs!hpfcla!meier

patk@riddle.UUCP (Patrick King) (01/19/88)

In article <572@cgchb.cgch.UUCP> wgtr@cgch.UUCP (Graham Tritt) writes:
>I have various HP 9000 systems and I would like a tool to tell me
>how my system is running.  On HP-UX I don't have lastcomm or vmstat.
>Currently I have some crude scripts based on who, time and ps
>(they also make load on the machine) but there ought to be a better way
>(like a C program).

We have a product called AIM "JOB SCHEDULER"  It manages the use of high load
programs and enables them to be qued for off peak processing. The system
produces a series of system usage reports to enable system administrators to
determine scheduling needs and resource priorities.

From the same source come:

        AIM "DISK TUNER" performance tool for winchester disks.
        AIM "JOB ACCOUNTING" (self explanatory).
        AIM "BENCHMARK SUITE" (self explanatory).

These systems are all written in 'C' and come in a source code format.

for further info contact........
Reply To:  patk@sphinx.co.uk    Sphinx Limited
                                43-53 Moorbridge Road,
Phone: 06228 75343              Maidenhead,
TLX  : 849812                   Berks SL6 8PB.
FAX  : 0628 70110               England.