[comp.sources.wanted] Looking for mail forwarder for Usenet articles

ocker@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (John Ockerbloom) (01/24/88)

Expires:

I'm sure this query has come up before, but I don't know what software is
already out there.

I know some people who get email but not Usenet, and were interested in
reading certain Usenet groups.  An obvious solution to this problem would
be to have a program which scanned the news spool partition for new articles
in appropriate newsgroups, and then sent these articles (perhaps bundling
them together or removing extraneous header information first) to the
appropriate email addresses.   (The program would, of course, have to know
what articles it had already sent out.)

I could write one of these myself, but I suspect that somebody has already
written a general forwarding program for the Net.   Could someone let me
know how to obtain such a program, assuming it already exists in the public
domain?

Please respond by email, as I do not subscribe to these groups.

John Ockerbloom

ockerbloom@yale.EDU                 ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!ockerbloom
ockerbloom@yalecs.BITNET            Box 5323 Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520

billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (01/25/88)

ockerbloom@yale.UUCP (John Ockerbloom) writes:
>I know some people who get email but not Usenet, and were interested in
>reading certain Usenet groups.  An obvious solution to this problem would
>be to have a program which scanned the news spool partition for new articles
>in appropriate newsgroups, and then sent these articles (perhaps bundling
>them together or removing extraneous header information first) to the
>appropriate email addresses.   (The program would, of course, have to know
>what articles it had already sent out.)

Why make it hard on yourself? inews can take care of it for you. Add a line
to your /usr/lib/news/sys file (or whatever your news lib is) that reads
something like this:

luser-mail:world,soc.culture.urundi-burundi::Mail -s "forwarded USENET news" luser@fweep.COM

Substitute as appropriate, of course.

..bill