[comp.sources.wanted] folding editor

michael@trigraph.UUCP (Michael Winser) (02/02/88)

Does anyone out there have source to a folding editor?
Ideally I would like changes to jove or some other emacs
like editor.

Michael.

--
...utscri!trigraph!michael            Michael Winser
michael@trigraph.UUCP                 Trigraph Inc.

asjoshi@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Amit S. Joshi) (02/05/88)

Me too. I would love to see this too.

Thanks,

--
Amit Joshi	BITNET	|	Q3696@PUCC.BITNET
		USENET	| {seismo, rutgers}\!princeton\!phoenix\!asjoshi

michael@trigraph.UUCP (Michael Winser) (02/05/88)

In article <358@trigraph.UUCP> michael@trigraph.UUCP (Michael Winser) writes:
							that's me! :-)
>Does anyone out there have source to a folding editor?

Judging by the response received ("What's a folding editor"), I guess I should
explain:

A folding editor allows you to "fold" several lines of text into a single line
(usually displayed as the first folded line).  Many outline processors (if not
all) use a similar approach.  The difference between an outline processor and
a folding editor is that the folding editor imposes no knowledge of structure
upon the folded text.

I believe that one of the original folding editors was at cmu, but I could be
wrong.

I hope this clarifies my request.

Michael

--
...utscri!trigraph!michael            Michael Winser
michael@trigraph.UUCP                 Trigraph Inc.
                                      5 Lower Sherbourne St. #201
(416) 363-8841                        Toronto,Ontario M5R 3H8

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (02/06/88)

     Using GNU emacs, give the command "M-x picture-mode".  That
will do what you ask.
--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!uunet!cos!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  ai01@hios-pent.arpa

dupuy@westend.columbia.edu (Alexander Dupuy) (02/09/88)

In article <362@trigraph.UUCP> michael@trigraph.UUCP (Michael Winser) writes:
>A folding editor allows you to "fold" several lines of text into a single line
>(usually displayed as the first folded line).

You might want to look at outline-mode in Gnu Emacs.  Folded lines are marked
by ^M (CR) where ordinary lines are marked with ^J (NL).  Setting the elisp
variable selective-display to t turns this feature on.  The outline mode which
uses this supports an outline-regexp variable that allows you to specify the
format of header vs. body lines.  This allows you to customize the outlines for
the particular structure you are using.

@alex
---
arpanet: dupuy@columbia.edu