[comp.sources.wanted] DMGBBS unarcing problems

xiaohe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Xiao-He Zhang) (03/06/88)

In article <309@spock.UUCP> eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) writes:

>Has anyone else had problems unarcing the DMGBBS files
 [lines deleted]
>When I try to unarc it it gets the first file
>DMGBBS.EXE   296??? bytes blah blah blah....
>>>An entry in dmgbbs.arc has a bad header<<   Here's where it dies-
>it just hangs up...

    I have the same problem in most of the files downloaded from this group
(comp.binaries.ibm.pc) recently except kermit2.30.  So could you people add
one or two lines of explanation as how, on which machine, under what O/S you
did your uuencode and Arc when posting binary codes here?  That could help us
a lot!  Thank you very much.

  Xiao-He Zhang  ||    xiaohe@abbott.caltech.edu | xiaohe@caltech.bitnet
------
   Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming
      Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.

mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) (03/08/88)

In article <5671@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> xiaohe@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Xiao-He Zhang) writes:
>In article <309@spock.UUCP> eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) writes:
>>
>>Has anyone else had problems unarcing the DMGBBS files
> [lines deleted]
>>When I try to unarc it it gets the first file
>>DMGBBS.EXE   296??? bytes blah blah blah....
>>it just hangs up...
>
>...  So could you people add
>one or two lines of explanation as how, on which machine, under what O/S you
>did your uuencode and Arc when posting binary codes here?  That could help us
>a lot!  Thank you very much.

When I put the thing together, I used the uuencode system that was currently
on our pyramid. I really don't know what version or release that was.  If you
manage to get past that point, I was using pkarc.com version 3.5 to arc the
thing together. I know going into submission the program was dearcable, but
I don't know what happened after that...

If you still have problems of something along those lines and would still like
a copy of the program, you can send a self addressed stamped envelope to

Marcos R. Della
225 N. Chorro St.
San Luis Obispo, CA  93401

along with three disks and I'll send out a copy of the most recient version
of the program that I have running. Or if your rich and can afford the phone
bill, call 805-541-3358 at 2400 baud and download the thing...

So, in summary:
   uuencoded w/whatever is on the pyramid
   arc'ed w/pkarc.com version 3.5
   it was also split using the pyramid split program...

Marcos Della

--
..!csustan ->!polyslo!mdella    | mdella@polyslo | Whatever I said doesn't
..!sdsu ---/   Marcos R. Della  | (805) 543-0135 | mean diddly as I forgot

patrick@crcmar.crc.uucp (Andrew Patrick) (03/15/88)

In article <1450@polyslo.UUCP>, mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) writes:

  [stuff deleted]

> When I put the thing together, I used the uuencode system that was currently
> on our pyramid. I really don't know what version or release that was.  If you
> manage to get past that point, I was using pkarc.com version 3.5 to arc the
> thing together. I know going into submission the program was dearcable, but
> I don't know what happened after that...

  [stuff deleted]

> So, in summary:
>    uuencoded w/whatever is on the pyramid
>    arc'ed w/pkarc.com version 3.5
>    it was also split using the pyramid split program...
>
> Marcos Della

Is it not the usual procedure to PKARC the files first, and THEN submit
them for UUENCODING?  By the sounds of it, Marcos did it in the
opposite order, which causes problems for those of us who UUDECODE on a
main-frame, and then ship to the PC for PKXARCing.  If this is the
problem, perhaps a re-post is called for using the correct processing
order?

Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.
INTERNET:  patrick@crcmar.uucp
UUCP:  ... uunet!mnetor!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!crcmar!patrick
BITNET: patrick%crcmar@UTORGPU
PHONE:  (613) 990-4675
CANADA POST:  Division of Behavioral Research, Communications Research Center,
              P.O. Box 11490, Station 'H', Ottawa, ON, CANADA K2H 8S2

mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) (03/17/88)

In article <637@crcmar.crc.uucp> patrick@crcmar.crc.uucp (Andrew Patrick) writes:
>In article <1450@polyslo.UUCP>, mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) writes:
>
>  [stuff deleted]
>
>Is it not the usual procedure to PKARC the files first, and THEN submit
>them for UUENCODING?  By the sounds of it, Marcos did it in the

My mistake. I listed the things in the wrong order...

1) arced the files together...
2) uuencoded the files
3) ran them through split (-n1000)
4) stored those to be sent then did the process backwards
   to make sure that they went together ok.
5) sent out the stuff...

Sorry about the incorrect order posted...

Marcos