[comp.sources.wanted] I Need Fonts !!!

mikew@foobar.hf.intel.com (Mike Wright) (03/09/88)

I am in need of some data for bit-mapped fonts. Any fonts will do.

I am trying to write a program that will, as one of its functions, allow
a user to place text in any size, at any location on the "page" of an
epson printer. Therefore I need the data for a (many!) font that I can
use in my code.

Any pointers/information gratefully received.

--
-mikew (Mike Wright, (503)696-7281, Intel Corp; Hillsboro OR)
 ...tektronix!psu-cs!                 \

In article <167@semike.foobar.hf.intel.com> mikew@semike.hf.intel.com (Mike Wright) writes:
>I am in need of some data for bit-mapped fonts. Any fonts will do.

Try getting an X distribution.  There are lots of fonts distributed in an
ASCII format (bdf).  Also look for bdf.ps which defines the format of the
font files.  Just look at past messages in comp.windows.x - I'm sure that
there is a message that describes how to get X.
--
-russ
AT&T: (315)268-6591  BITNET: NELSON@CLUTX  Internet: nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu

rpaul@dasys1.UUCP (Rodian Paul) (03/20/88)

>In article <167@semike.foobar.hf.intel.com> mikew@semike.hf.intel.com (Mike Wright) writes:
>I am in need of some data for bit-mapped fonts. Any fonts will do.

I beleive that many of the fonts available in the Macintosh world are
public domain (you'll have to check this), and that Apple publish
a series of books called 'Inside Macintosh' volumes I..V, where you
can find the data format. A long way around to acheive what you
want, but there are some damned decent fonts for the Mac series.

Your posting also prompts me to ask if anyone out there has a Silicon Grpahics
Clover 4D/70 with the fonts that are SUPPOSED to be in /usr/lib/gl/fonts ?
If you do have the fonts, I'd really like to get my hands on them, no one
at SG seems to know where they are and I don't like having to use the
crummy 7 point default font on the graphics console. The fonts on the 2000
and 3000 Iris models do NOT work.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

--
Rodian Paul