[comp.sources.wanted] Wanted! Chinese Word Processor

szhang@caltech.edu (Sean X. Zhang) (03/25/88)

   Does any one out there know any (public domain) Chinese word processor?
Preferably, it should work with monochromic monitor or EGA monitor.  If any
one of you have such a WP, could you e-mail me a copy or post it if you
think there should be enough general interest?
  Thank you very much in advance!

--
 Sean X. Zhang   (szhang@caltech.edu)
"If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars."

--
Xiao-He Zhang  ||  xiaohe@tybalt.caltech.edu  |  xiaohe@caltech.bitnet

guest@mit-hermes.ai.mit.edu.AI.MIT.EDU (G. U. Est Random) (03/26/88)

In article <5940@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> szhang@caltech.edu (Sean X. Zhang) writes:

>   Does any one out there know any (public domain) Chinese word processor?
>Preferably, it should work with monochromic monitor or EGA monitor.  If any
>one of you have such a WP, could you e-mail me a copy or post it if you
>think there should be enough general interest?

I know of several Chinese word-processors for the PC and 1 for the
Mac.  Here's the one I recommend:  Duke Chinese Typist.  It runs on any
PC with an EGA card (the author tells me that the latest version, soon
to come out, will have support for several other graphics cards [I
think he said that it will support Hercules, CGA, AT&T's Indigenous
Graphics Board, and others, but I'm not sure.]) and at least 512 K RAM
(though 640 K is _much_ preferred).  It's written by my Chinese
professor, Dr. Richard Kunst, of Duke University.  He distributes
copies for $25, which apparently includes updates.  (I think this
figure is current, but it may not be.) Input is in pinyin (the next
version may have Cangjie input also); however, for you Tai/ wan- ren/
out there, an on-line help screen containing a zhuyin fuhao-to-pinyin
conversion table is available at the press of a key.  I'll provide more
info on request, but I encourage anyone interested to write Dr. Kunst:

		Dr. Richard Kunst
		Asian/Pacific Studies Institute
		Duke University
		2111 Campus Dr.
		Durham, NC   27706

		UUCP:  ...!duke!ducall!don
		BITNET:  DKUNST@TUCC

I'll post another article about other word processors later.

				--Scott Horne

shorne@amber.cs.clemson.edu (192.5.219.82)
BITNET:  PHORNE@CLEMSON

Scott Horne