[comp.sources.wanted] TeX tools; Request for source information.

dds@imsys.UUCP (Dennis Sherod) (03/30/88)

Could someone please indicate the *authoritative* source for
TeX, CTeX, PicTeX, LaTeX, and other relavent products?

I recently posted a query for text tool processing methods
and would like to get a copy of the above for evaluation.
For those of you that have kindly asked me to summarize the
results of this study, please stand by, the jury is still out.
I expect another 2 to 3 week of investigative work.

The usual thanks in advance,
--
Dennis Sherod, Data General Corporation UUCP:     ..!uunet!peregrine!imsys!dds
Software Products & Services Division   TELCON:   +1 714 835 3583

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (03/30/88)

For Unix at least, here are the answers:

TeX and LaTeX are available from U. of Washington. Here is the blurb
from the last TUGBOAT I have:

=====
How to order:

To order a full distribution of TeX, send $100.00 (foreign sites
$110.00, to cover the extra postage) payable to the University of
Washington to:

	Pierre A. MacKay
	Northwest Computer Support Group, DW-10
	University of Washington
	Seattle, Washington 98195

The normal distribution is a tar tape, blocked 20, 1600 bpi. If you
need 1/4 in streamer cartridges for the SUN, be sure to tell us.
Although we have had problems previously with cartridge tapes, we can
usually hope to get them out quite fast now.
=====

The TeX sources on the Unix tape require BSD Pascal. Apparently the
tape now includes a TeXtoC translator that allows WEB to be translated
to C and reports have come in of TeX working on SysV machines like the
3B series. You can ftp tex-to-c from june.cs.washington.edu.

METAFONT is also on this tape. You should definitely get a tape if you
are serious about installing Unix TeX because there is a lot of
essential stuff on it, such as the macros and the fonts. And it is too
big to ftp. Our 2-year old distribution is some 35Mb.

There is another TeX in C called Common-TeX. There is some dispute over
whether it passed the trip test (and therefore can be called TeX).
Last I heard, it was available by ftp from ucbvax.berkeley.edu.

PicTeX is a macro package that sits on top of TeX. It is avaliable from
Michael Wichura of U. Chicago. You can ftp it from
june.cs.washington.edu also. But you need the manual to use PicTeX,
which Wichura is distributing for $15, last I heard. Apparently it will
be published as a book eventually.  I have not used PicTeX, but hear
that it can easily eat up a lot of TeX's memory.

Finally, there is a mailing list for TeX hackers and users called
TeXHax.  If you are on the Internet, send a message to
texhax-request@score.stanford.edu to join. Bitnet users should do
this:

%%% subscribe, simply send a one line mail message to LISTSERV@TAMVM1
%%% that reads:
%%%  SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your "real time" name>

	Ken

spencer@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Stephen Spencer) (03/30/88)

In article <8189@sol.ARPA>, ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) writes:

> PicTeX is a macro package that sits on top of TeX. It is avaliable from
> Michael Wichura of U. Chicago. You can ftp it from
> june.cs.washington.edu also. But you need the manual to use PicTeX,
> which Wichura is distributing for $15, last I heard. Apparently it will
> be published as a book eventually.  I have not used PicTeX, but hear
> that it can easily eat up a lot of TeX's memory.

  The PicTeX distribution (which I got from another site here at OSU)
is compressed and shar'ed, and ran about 600K.  When uncompressed and
split into its component files, one file made up about 70% of the
space in the directory -- it was the PicTeX manual, in .dvi form, ready
to be run through a dvi2{whatever} filter and printed.  At 85 pages it
is not a small manual but then again it shouldn't.

  I've tried some of the PicTeX stuff out here over the last four or five
days and haven't found any problems with it yet.  If there is a space
problem I will soon run into it as I will be making the figures for my
thesis with it.  Thanks, Michael for PicTeX: You have saved many people
many hours of work with YOUR ingenous work.