[comp.sources.wanted] computer dialing

gary@mbir.bcm.tmc.edu (03/09/88)

I would like to know if anyone has a program which has a remote computer
dial up a modem connected to a terminal and create a login shell for the
user. This way the dialing computer would assume the phone charges and not
the user.

gary lieberman
gary@mbir.bcm.tmc.edu

bruce@hpihoah.HP.COM (Bruce LaVigne) (03/25/88)

We have a system that does that here in Cupertino, CA.  It's main purpose is
not moving the call cost to the company, but as a security measure.  You dial
up the system (it's called DEFENDER) and it answers in an electronically
generated voice.  You then punch in your access code, confirm, and the system
will dial you back at a number you have registered to that access code.
It works great except for when (like me) you want call waiting on your phone
line.  There's no way to disable the feature on an incoming call without
putting the computer on hold, which causes it to disconnect.  It just means
that you log on after about 10, when the chances of getting a call are small.

-bruce

          Bruce LaVigne

          UUCP:    {ucbvax,hplabs}!hpda!bruce
                   bruce%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
          USnail:  c/o Hewlett-Packard m/s 42L8
                   19447 Pruneridge Avenue
                   Cupertino, CA  95014
          Phone:   (408)447-6279 work

wizard@dse.UUCP (Mike Willett) (03/31/88)

In article <4650006@hpihoah.HP.COM>, bruce@hpihoah.HP.COM (Bruce LaVigne) writes:
> We have a system that does that here in Cupertino, CA.  It's main purpose is
> not moving the call cost to the company, but as a security measure.  You dial
> up the system (it's called DEFENDER) and it answers in an electronically
> generated voice.  You then punch in your access code, confirm, and the system
> will dial you back at a number you have registered to that access code.
> It works great except for when (like me) you want call waiting on your phone
> line.  There's no way to disable the feature on an incoming call without
> putting the computer on hold, which causes it to disconnect.  It just means
> that you log on after about 10, when the chances of getting a call are small.
>
> -bruce

Here in Colorado, you can disable call waiting by dialing a prefix before
the number you wish to dial.  It may be the same in California.

To dial our computer from home, I dial 1170 and then the number, using pulse
dilaing.  If your modem has the * tone capability, you can dial *70 then the
number.

Here are some examples:    11705551212
                            *705551212
I believe the party that rings you while using the line with 1170 or *70
will get a busy signal.

Hope this helps!  I know the pain of being bumped off by a salesman selling
subscriptions garbage magazines, newspapers, etc.....
--
			Michael Willett Ampex Corporation AVSD
			{ascvax,avsd,avsdS,hp-lsd,hpldola}!dse!wizard