[comp.sources.wanted] American word list wanted

grady@Apple.COM (Grady Ward) (03/25/88)

Wanted:  E-mail containing lists of unusual (viz., less
common, proper nouns) American words, spelled correctly.
(Will be used in a spelling dictionary word list -- I don't want
to type them all in!)  I've already grabbed all I can from the
local DICT file, now I need all of yours.  Thanks ahead of
time.   Grady Ward.

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (03/29/88)

In article <7776@apple.Apple.Com>, grady@Apple.COM (Grady Ward) writes:
> Wanted: E-mail containing lists of unusual (viz., less common, proper
> nouns) American words, spelled correctly.

What the @#$%# is an "American" word? Do you mean an English word not
used in any other country? Or are you starting a trend to change the
name of the language you and I both speak (with minor allowances for
dialects)?

[ this is a half-flame   :-| ]
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

thomson@hub.toronto.edu (Brian Thomson) (03/29/88)

In article <431@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
>In article <7776@apple.Apple.Com>, grady@Apple.COM (Grady Ward) writes:
>> Wanted: E-mail containing lists of unusual (viz., less common, proper
>> nouns) American words, spelled correctly.
>
>What the @#$%# is an "American" word?

He asked for American words, spelled correctly.
These are English words, spelled incorrectly, plus such gems
as 'burglarize', 'synchronization', and the popular but recently
oppugned 'accreditate'.

I was watching Buffalo TV news a few weeks ago, and it hurt when a
reporter said that an organ transplant recipient was alive and healthy,
thanks to the generosity of the 'donater'.
--
		    Brian Thomson,	    CSRI Univ. of Toronto
		    utcsri!uthub!thomson, thomson@hub.toronto.edu

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (03/31/88)

In article <431@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
>What the @#$%# is an "American" word?

I suppose words like color, center, behavior are American words. In a
proper English dictionary, they would be spelt properly - colour, centre
and behaviour.

		Jim

--
ARPA:	jim%cs.strath.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa, jim@cs.strath.ac.uk
UUCP:	jim@strath-cs.uucp, ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!jim

"JANET domain ordering is swapped around so's there'd be some use for rev(1)!"

bobmon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Skizofrenio the Elder...Younger) (04/02/88)

In article <906@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk writes:
>In article <431@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
>>What the @#$%# is an "American" word?
>
>I suppose words like color, center, behavior are American words. In a
>proper English dictionary, they would be spelt properly - colour, centre
>and behaviour.

Soume day the English, and their Scouttish tououls, will discouvre data
coumpressioun, and will nevre again use twou vouwels where oune wouuld dou.
Oun that apoucalyptic day, they will alsou abandoun the military rank of
"Colonel".  But what will becoume of the Nytes of the Realm?

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (04/04/88)

In article <906@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk>, jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
> In article <431@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
> >What the @#$%# is an "American" word?
>
> I suppose words like color, center, behavior are American words. In a
> proper English dictionary, they would be spelt properly - colour, centre
> and behaviour.

Going over a local map, I can see lots of them:
Utah
Uintah
Oqquirrh
Tooele
Wasatch
Navajo
Kaparowits
Kaibab
Hovenweep
Manti
Sevier

Washington state has some really interesting ones, like:
Puyallup
Toppenish
Seattle
Tacoma
Snoqualmie
Snohomish
Sammamish
Issaquah
Hoquiam
Sequim
Wenatchee

I'm sure any of you living in North, Central, or South America can
find many, many more very quickly.  All the names that existed BEFORE
the europeans showed up and started mucking things up :-).

--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!

govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) (04/05/88)

> In article <431@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
> >What the @#$%# is an "American" word?
>
> I suppose words like color, center, behavior are American words. In a
> proper English dictionary, they would be spelt properly - colour, centre
> and behaviour.

Your choice of "English" words is amusing.

Those words were rammed down English throats by William after Harold
squandered his opportunities in 1066.   Have you checked with
the Academie Francais for their correct spelling?

Wouldn't the Anglo-Saxons be ashamed of your stewardship of the language!
You have allowed it to be defiled, debased, and otherwise corrupted.
Shame on you!  I suggest an English Academy to purge the mother tongue
of all infestation.

We Americans are switching to ASB (American standard binary) next year.
English is too imprecise.

thomson@hub.toronto.edu (Brian Thomson) (04/05/88)

In article <76@avsd.UUCP> govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) writes:
>> In article <431@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
>> I suppose words like color, center, behavior are American words.
>
>Your choice of "English" words is amusing.
>
>Those words were rammed down English throats by William after Harold
>squandered his opportunities in 1066.   Have you checked with
>the Academie Francais for their correct spelling?

This assumes that the Academie is the official arbiter of the orthography
of 900-year old Norman French, an assumption that may be disputed.

Americans, by their preference for 'color', 'favor', and 'honor', show
that they would rather be language lackeys of the Spanish than of the
French.  Is that really such an improvement?
--

ken@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) (04/11/88)

>>>What the @#$%# is an "American" word?
>> I suppose words like color, center, behavior are American words.
>Have you checked with the Academie Francais for their correct spelling?

Yes, I did -- it's ``Academie Francaise''.
From Ken Johnson, AI Applications Institute, The University, EDINBURGH
Phone 031-225 4464 ext 212
Email k.johnson@ed.ac.uk