[comp.sources.wanted] YACC and LEX for MS-DOS

darrylo@hpsrli.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (04/14/88)

In comp.sources.wanted, leor@pyr.gatech.EDU (LEOR AMIKAM) writes:

> I'm sure this has been bought up before, but does anyone know of a
> public domain or commercial version of YACC/LEX (or some derivative)
> for the MS-DOS world?  Any help is appreciated.
> --
> LEOR AMIKAM
> Georgia Insitute of Technology, PO Box 34602 Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!leor
> ARPA: leor@pyr.ocs.gatech.edu

     I've ported (well, hacked) the Free Software Foundation's Bison (a yacc
lookalike) to MSDOS.  It uses the large memory model, so it should be able to
handle large descriptions.  There are some caveats, however:

     1. It is SLOW on a 4.77 MHz PC.  Compiling the 1985 version of the ANSI C
	grammar takes on the order of a few minutes.
     2. It has only been lightly tested, so it could crash and wipe out the
	hard disk.  The hard disk should be completely backed up before using
	it.  I have tested this version of Bison with the GNU Awk grammar (the
	grammar file is 23K in size) and the 1985 ANSI C grammar (unlike the
	GNU Awk grammar, I haven't had time to compile the Bison output to see
	if Bison produced correct code).

If there are hardy souls who would like source and executable, send Email.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	{hplabs!hpccc!, hpfcla!} hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.