[comp.sources.wanted] SPSS

ras@needle1.bellcore.com (Raymond A. Schnitzler) (03/29/88)

Is SPSS either PD or otherwise available for free?  If anyone has any
leads, drop me a line.

Thanks,

So remember to
  'Hang by your work,			Ray Schnitzler
   and write if you get thumbs.'	Bell Communication Research

steve@acich.UUCP (Steve Westfall) (04/01/88)

In article <823@sword.bellcore.com>, ras@needle1.bellcore.com (Raymond A. Schnitzler) writes:
> Is SPSS either PD or otherwise available for free?

No, it is a commercial product.  As I recall, the company
that produces it is SPSS, Inc., and they are located on
North Michigan Avenue in Chicago.

Shell out those bucks!

--
Steve Westfall       Automated Concepts, Inc. - Chicago
Phone:      (312) 346-8640

mike@pcsbst.UUCP (Mike Schroeder) (04/05/88)

In article <823@sword.bellcore.com> schnitz@bellcore.com (Raymond A. Schnitzler) writes:
>Is SPSS either PD or otherwise available for free?  If anyone has any
>leads, drop me a line.

I remember a while back, a customer of ours wanted SPSS on our machine. So
we contacted the SPSS people and talked to them about a port. From their
reaction at the time ("we port only to D*C, no unix port is planned, etc.etc.)
I assume that you won't find SPSS free (it's not PD ;-().

I should mention that this is approx. 18 months ago, so their position
may have changed in the meantime (if they're clever, it has ;-).

Cheers
Mike

dennis@uw-warp.UUCP (Dennis Gentry) (04/14/88)

>In article <823@sword.bellcore.com> schnitz@bellcore.com (Raymond A. Schnitzler) writes:
>>Is SPSS either PD or otherwise available for free?  If anyone has any
>>leads, drop me a line.
>>
>I remember a while back, a customer of ours wanted SPSS on our machine. So
>we contacted the SPSS people and talked to them about a port. From their
>reaction at the time ("we port only to D*C, no unix port is planned, etc.etc.)
>I assume that you won't find SPSS free (it's not PD ;-().
>
>I should mention that this is approx. 18 months ago, so their position
>may have changed in the meantime (if they're clever, it has ;-).

I notice that the original poster is from bellcore.  If this is the
case, then he should be able to get a copy of S by Becker & Chambers
of bellcore, which is remarkably much better than SPSS.  S is
definitely not public domain, but I bet for bellcore use it it free.

For the rest of you, you can get S either from AT&T or (for at least
Suns and Apollos) from Statistical Sciences, Inc. here in Seattle.  I,
for one, would like to see S replace SPSS and SAS, since I think it
encourages better statistics.  It's sure easier to use, and is
significantly cheaper than SAS or SPSS.

Disclaimer:  I just interviewed with SSI, and I hope to be an employee
soon.

--
Dennis.
-------