[comp.sources.wanted] EDT wanted

shoat@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dave Shoat) (05/09/88)

Does anyone out there know if there is a version of EDT which will run under
Unix (specifically Ultrix V2.0?) This would have to support all the screen mode
and keypad mode stuff which EDT does. Either PD or commercial packages would
do.

*** Disclaimer ***

This is not for myself. There are some Neanderthal types within this department
who cannot get their brains around vi in a reasonable length of time and want
the editor they know and (presumably) love. I'd make them use ed myself.

Thanks.

David Shoat
Dept. of Medical Cardiology
Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (05/12/88)

In article <1116@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, shoat@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dave Shoat) writes:
> Does anyone out there know if there is a version of EDT which will run under
> Unix (specifically Ultrix V2.0?)This would have to support all the screen mode
> and keypad mode stuff which EDT does. Either PD or commercial packages would
> do.

  Try Boston Software Works.

> *** Disclaimer ***
>
> This is not for myself.There are some Neanderthal types within this department
> who cannot get their brains around vi in a reasonable length of time and want
> the editor they know and (presumably) love. I'd make them use ed myself.

  I feel bad for them.  That they are faced with this attitude, I mean.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

yuval@taux01.UUCP (Gideon Yuval) (05/12/88)

Anker Berg-Sonne's SEDT editor  has  pretty  good  EDT  emulation.  It's  not
public-domain  (worse  luck);  but  Anker   (anker@anker.dec.com   or  anker@
curie.dec.com)  is  a  good guy. When last seen, SEDT ran on VMS and on MSDOS
(DEC boxes only -- "the man who  pays  the  piper  ...");  but  it's  been  a
while; and I'm sure the TECHNICAL problems of a Unix-port are minimal.

N.B.  I'm  a  Neanderthal myself -- given VI and EMACS, I'll choose EMACS any
time; but I prefer SEDT to both.

Gideon Yuval, yuval@taux01.nsc.com, +972-2-690992 (home) ,-52-522255(work)
 Paper-mail: National Semiconductor, 6 Maskit St., Herzliyah, Israel

--

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (05/12/88)

In article <1116@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> shoat@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dave Shoat) writes:
>Does anyone out there know if there is a version of EDT which will run under
>Unix (specifically Ultrix V2.0?) This would have to support all the screen mode
>and keypad mode stuff which EDT does. Either PD or commercial packages would
>do.
I'd like a copy, too. And i'll try to avoid screaming at the original
poster who thinks that editors (vi) which dont let you delete past a
carriage return are good. ( :=( )

--

Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{ima,harvard}!bbn!aoa!carl

stan@sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown) (05/13/88)

> In article <1116@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> shoat@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dave Shoat) writes:
> >Does anyone out there know if there is a version of EDT which will run under
> >Unix (specifically Ultrix V2.0?) This would have to support all the screen mode
> >and keypad mode stuff which EDT does. Either PD or commercial packages would
> >do.
> I'd like a copy, too. And i'll try to avoid screaming at the original
> poster who thinks that editors (vi) which dont let you delete past a
> carriage return are good. ( :=( )

	Ever tried "dd' ? ;-)

--
Stan Brown	S. D. Brown & Associates	404-292-9497
gatech!sdba!stan

grimesg@makalu (George Grimes) (05/17/88)

If a public domain version of EDT which runs under Unix is available,
I would also like a copy.  If this makes me a Neanderthal, so be it.

I used to really complain about EDT until I learned vi and found out
what a really crummy editor is.

I can be reached at: grimesg%sjsca4@spar.slb.com

Thanks,
George Grimes

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (05/17/88)

In article <236@sdba.UUCP> stan@sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown) writes:
>> In article <1116@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> shoat@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dave Shoat) writes:
[this is a misattribution: I was the poster who complained about
vi below]
>> >and keypad mode stuff which EDT does. Either PD or commercial packages would
>> >do.
>> I'd like a copy, too. And i'll try to avoid screaming at the original
>> poster who thinks that editors (vi) which dont let you delete past a
>> carriage return are good. ( :=( )
>>
>	Ever tried "dd' ? ;-)
On the off chance that anyone thinks that is what I meant: NONONO
when you are in "entry" mode (i.e. after "a" or "i"), you cannot
backspace past a CR. What's the point in that?

--

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (05/18/88)

/ comp.sources.wanted / stan@sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown) / May 13, 1988 /
>	Ever tried "dd' ? ;-)

Hmmm... let's see:

	dd if=/dev/tty of=main.c

:-)

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,ihnp4}!nucsrl!gore