[comp.sources.wanted] Can someone please e-mail me the unix end for uw?

exodus@uop.edu (G.Onufer) (05/15/88)

Does anyone have the COMPLETE distribution of UW (Unix
Windows) for Unix?  I had (past-tense!) it but at least three
files were missing from the server directory.  I need it
for a Sun running 4.2.

Thanks,
G. Onufer
University of the Pacific

stan@sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown) (05/16/88)

> Does anyone have the COMPLETE distribution of UW (Unix
> Windows) for Unix?  I had (past-tense!) it but at least three
> files were missing from the server directory.  I need it
> for a Sun running 4.2.
>
> Thanks,
> G. Onufer
> University of the Pacific

	What excatly does this package do (windows on Unix(tm)) obviously
but what terminals (explicitly does it support charcater based terminals)
does it support & what version(s) of UNIX does it run in

Thanks In Advance
Stan

--
Stan Brown	S. D. Brown & Associates	404-292-9497
gatech!sdba!stan

tim@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Tim Northrup) (05/18/88)

From article <244@sdba.UUCP>, by stan@sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown):

> 	What excatly does this package do (windows on Unix(tm)) obviously
> but what terminals (explicitly does it support charcater based terminals)
> does it support & what version(s) of UNIX does it run in

Near as I can tell, the terminals supported is built into the client (ie, the
ST or MAC end of the uw connection), not the server.

For expample, the latest MAC version supports ADM31, ANSI, TEK4014 (or close),
and a couple others, while the latest ST version supports only the ADM31.

The server end (which will only run under BSD 4.2 or greater Unix, since it
requires sockets), manages the output from several processes, multiplexes
this output so that the client knows which window to output it to.  It acts
as a kind of director for the output of all of its child processes.  Up
to seven windows can be active at once.

The latest MAC version of UW supports a few nifty things that the ST version
does not -- it gives the server end more control over the windows, allowing
for titling, resizing, etc, at the program end.

For a copy of the Unix end, it was posted to comp.sources.mac a month or so
ago.  Check a local archive to see if anyone nearby saved it.
--
Tim Northrup      		  +------------------------------------------+
+---------------------------------+         GEnie:  TNORTHRUP                |

woerz@iaoobelix.UUCP (Dieter Woerz) (05/20/88)

In article <244@sdba.UUCP> stan@sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown) writes:
>	What excatly does this package do (windows on Unix(tm)) obviously
>but what terminals (explicitly does it support charcater based terminals)
>does it support & what version(s) of UNIX does it run in

UW is a package which implements a terminal elmulator on the
Macintosh, with the capability of using several windows on the
Macintosh side. The I/O of these windows is multiplexed over a serial
line to the UNIX side. There the UW will be started after the first
window has been opened. UW now (de)multiplexes the different streams
from and to the windows on the MAC.
But you need a system which has ptys, otherwise it is difficult to
get it running with multiple windows.
The window front end has also been ported to the ATARI, the UNIX part
remains the same.

Hope this helps.

Dieter Woerz
Fraunhofer Institut fuer Arbeitswirtschaft und Organisation
Abt. 453
Holzgartenstrasse 17
D-7000 Stuttgart 1
W-Germany

BITNET: iaoobel.uucp!woerz@unido.bitnet
UUCP:   ...{uunet!unido, pyramid}!iaoobel!woerz