[comp.sources.wanted] EDT editor wanted

shoat@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dave Shoat) (05/12/88)

Does anyone out there know if there is a version of EDT which will run under
Unix (specifically Ultrix V2.0?) This would have to support all the screen mode
and keypad mode stuff which EDT does. Either PD or commercial packages would
do.

*** Disclaimer ***

This is not for myself. There are some Neanderthal types within this department
who cannot get their brains around vi in a reasonable length of time and want
the editor they know and (presumably) love. I'd make them use ed myself.

Thanks.

David Shoat
Dept. of Medical Cardiology
Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) (05/15/88)

Dave Shoat (shoat@cs.glasgow.ac.uk) writes:
> Does anyone out there know if there is a version of EDT which will run under
> Unix (specifically Ultrix V2.0?)

Gnu Emacs has a mode that emulates EDT.  It also has two modes to
emulate vi; if you're not careful you might wind up getting addicted
to vi with windows (!).  It should run on Ultrix, from what I remember.

Gnu Emacs is free if someone near you has the sources.  If not, you
can buy a tape (about $150 US) from the company in Boston that
distributes it.  Tune into the newsgroup comp.emacs for details.

-- bd

mende@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende Pie) (05/15/88)

In article <1141@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> shoat@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dave
Shoat) writes:
> Does anyone out there know if there is a version of EDT which will
> run under Unix (specifically Ultrix V2.0?) This would have to
> support all the screen mode and keypad mode stuff which EDT does.
> Either PD or commercial packages would do.

  I dont know of any EDT editor for unix, but if you are willing to
give them more than they asked for, install gnu emacs.   gnu emacs
has a edt emulation mode that is (from what I understand) quite good.

					/Bob...
--
{...}!rutgers!mende	  mende@aramis.rutgers.edu	   mende@zodiac.bitnet

Didn't I buy a 1951 Packard from you last March in Cairo?

dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) (05/17/88)

In article <1141@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, shoat@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dave Shoat) writes:
> Does anyone out there know if there is a version of EDT which will run under
> Unix (specifically Ultrix V2.0?) This would have to support all the screen mode
> and keypad mode stuff which EDT does. Either PD or commercial packages would
> do.

At one point I was using both VMS and Unix systems.  We had a commercial version
of EMACS (I think it was Gosling) and it came with macros that bound a VT100
keypad to emulate EDT and did a pretty decent job.  The emacs EDT emulation
added multiple window capability (which was nice).  It didn't do any of the
command line stuff.  You could no doubt do the same for GNUemacs.

David Albrecht

wesommer@athena.mit.edu (William Sommerfeld) (05/17/88)

In article <167@kesmai.COM> dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) writes:
>At one point I was using both VMS and Unix systems.  We had a commercial version
>of EMACS (I think it was Gosling) and it came with macros that bound a VT100
>keypad to emulate EDT and did a pretty decent job.  The emacs EDT emulation
>added multiple window capability (which was nice).  It didn't do any of the
>command line stuff.  You could no doubt do the same for GNUemacs.

Yep.  "M-x edt-emulation-on" does it in GNU 18.xx; I'm not sure how
good the emulation is, not being an EDT user.

cgf@ednor.UUCP (Chris Faylor) (05/24/88)

In article <1141@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> shoat@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dave Shoat) writes:
>Does anyone out there know if there is a version of EDT which will run under
>Unix (specifically Ultrix V2.0?) This would have to support all the screen mode
>and keypad mode stuff which EDT does. Either PD or commercial packages would
>do.
>
> ... religious discussion deleted...

My company produces an EDT editor which runs under Ultrix v2.0.  We have
been marketing EDT on the PC since 1985, and EDT on Ultrix since 1986.
Its current incarnation is "EDT+".  Our address:

			Boston Business Computing, Ltd.
			360 Merrimack Street
			Lawrence, Massachusetts 01843

			(617) 683-7920

This posting was generated using EDT+ on a Celerity machine.  EDT+
is available for a number of UNIXen.

By the way, please note that we are in no way related to Boston Software
Works, which to the best of my knowledge does not supply a similar program.
--
			 Chris Faylor
			uunet!ednor!cgf