[comp.sources.wanted] "University Ingres"

orion@juniper.UUCP (Roland Dunkerley III KSC) (06/23/88)

A while back a friend of mine told me that a piece of software called:
"University" Ingres existed and had been recently held by the courts to be
public domain, I have checked with the archiver at UCB, and he has never
heard of such a beast.  Any information on U.I. would be greatly appreciated
includeing whether or not it exists or is available, and how/where to get
a copy.
---
   Roland Pleasant Dunkerley III K.S.C.
   Vote Libertarian!
   path: bellcore!tness1!tness7!juniper!orion1!rpd3
   -or-  uunet!bigtex!juniper!orion

annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) (06/23/88)

"University Ingres" is available on the "Sun User Group Contributed Software
Library Tape #2" in a 2,302 KB file as "dbms/ingres" ... The charge for this
tape is $100.00 ... however, you must be a member of the Sun User Group ...
a 1 year membership costs $30.00 ... so total cost should be about $130.00 .

Additional information may be obtained from:

      Sun User Group
      2550 Garcia Ave M/S 10-16
      Mt. View, CA 94043

This information was obtained from dhoward@sun.com ... he also forwarded
a copy of the required membership application and tape order forms to me.

NOTE:  You will be asked to have a responsible officer of your company
sign a form stating that you will not export these files to countries on
a list supplied by the United States Government.

jeff@cullsj.UUCP (Jeffrey C. Fried) (06/24/88)

In article <2769@juniper.UUCP>, orion@juniper.UUCP (Roland Dunkerley III KSC) writes:
> A while back a friend of mine told me that a piece of software called:
> "University" Ingres existed and had been recently held by the courts to be
> public domain, I have checked with the archiver at UCB, and he has never
> heard of such a beast.  Any information on U.I. would be greatly appreciated
> includeing whether or not it exists or is available, and how/where to get
> a copy.

   You should press your effort onto the computer science department at
Berkeley.  The tape archiver may not know about it because Berkeley makes
no effort to release it.
Jeff Fried                           UUCP: ...!ames!cullsj!jeff
                                           Reality, what a concept!
San Jose, CA, 95134 (clearly work)         San Mateo, CA  (home)
(408) 434-6636                             (415) 349-3744

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are solely those of the author.

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Computer Center) (06/25/88)

In article <333@cullsj.UUCP>, jeff@cullsj.UUCP (Jeffrey C. Fried) writes:
> In article <2769@juniper.UUCP>, orion@juniper.UUCP (Roland Dunkerley III KSC) writes:
> > A while back a friend of mine told me that a piece of software called:
> > "University" Ingres existed and had been recently held by the courts to be
> > public domain ...

I haven't heard anything about such a court case and would really appreciate
hearing from anyone with details.

Ingres originated in a research project at UC Berkeley some years back.
It has been included in BSD packages for years. The following is the
last paragraph of the recent announcement of an interim 4.3BSD release
which sheds light on their direction.

+    We have started a process of identifying  the  code  in
     the  4.3BSD  distribution that is not derived from AT&T
     code.  The copyrights in this code have been changed to
     indicate that it may be freely distributed if the copy-
     right notice is retained and that due  credit  for  its
     origin  is  given  to  The Regents of the University of
     California.  Over 1000 files have  been  identified  in
     this distribution.

Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
(The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>