[comp.sources.wanted] modemcap wanted

uusgta@tness7.UUCP (Tom Adams ) (06/29/88)

I am looking for public domain C source code and documentation to
support a modemcap function for a UNIX application program.  Similar
to termcap, the modemcap file should be an ASCII file that contains
control command strings for smart asynchronous modems and provides for
the software that uses it to be modem independent.

I need documentation that defines the file format.  I am also looking
for software that accesses the file and exercises modem control using
the control strings, although just the former would be sufficient (we
can integrate modemcap into existing autodialing software if we get
the file format and the software to access the file).

I am familiar with System V's H-D uucp and the Dialers file.  This is
not modemcap as Dialers is for dialing only, not hanging up, resetting
the modem, changing parameters, etc.  I imagine that modemcap
software may be implemented by a change to the dial (3C) routine.  I
believe I saw it implemented that way once on someone's System V
Motorola box (?).

					Joe Schmidt
					Southwestern Bell
					Information Systems
					({bellcore,ihnp4}!sw1e!slmds1!jfs)

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (07/02/88)

In article <3955@tness7.UUCP> uusgta@tness7.UUCP (Tom Adams ) writes:
]I am looking for public domain C source code and documentation to
]support a modemcap function for a UNIX application program.  Similar
]to termcap, the modemcap file should be an ASCII file that contains
]control command strings for smart asynchronous modems and provides for
]the software that uses it to be modem independent.

tom - i have one, it sucks, needs work, etc., but other than that will
do everything you want.  i'll uucp you a copy if you want.

for the rest of you - it was posted as 1.1 last fall/winter, look in
the archives.  that code is way out of date, i'm working on better.
it will be posted when done, and yes, it really does work.  most of
the time.

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/05/88)

In article <3492@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
>In article <3955@tness7.UUCP> uusgta@tness7.UUCP (Tom Adams ) writes:
>]I am looking for public domain C source code and documentation to
>]support a modemcap function for a UNIX application program.  Similar
>]to termcap, the modemcap file should be an ASCII file that contains
>]control command strings for smart asynchronous modems and provides for
>]the software that uses it to be modem independent.
>
>tom - i have one, it sucks, needs work, etc., but other than that will
>do everything you want.  i'll uucp you a copy if you want.

If you're running under System V, there was a very nice package called
"System V Dial" (or something similar) posted to comp.sources.unix
some time back.

Although the syntax is nearly as bizarre as modemcaps, it is much more
flexable in what it will let you do with the modem.

--
{alberta,pyramid,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA