[comp.sources.wanted] Sending 'netnews' via 'email'

news@magnus.UUCP (magnus NEWS ADMIN) (07/07/88)

I am looking for something which will allow me to (selectively) feed netnews
groups from my big system as 'email' to other sites who are not set up for
news, just mail.  I envision the following:

	In my systems 'sys' file, I set up for batching.  This means that I
will get a list in a file by the name of the system I am interested in
normally forwarding a news feed to.  But, instead, I don't run sendbatch on
that account, simply *this* program which reads in the list of articles, and
proceeds to 'email' each one to a given user on another system.  Ideally, the
'subject' line would be parsed, and given to the mail system as a subject, or
the program would actually be a MTA without invoking the local bin/mail
program.  That way, all the headers in the 'news' item would be available to
the remote system's Mail user interface.

	Does anything like this already exist, or do I have to write it???

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,

Mike Levin

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (07/09/88)

In article <229@magnus.UUCP> news@magnus.UUCP (magnus NEWS ADMIN) writes:

|>I am looking for something which will allow me to (selectively) feed netnews
|>groups from my big system as 'email' to other sites who are not set up for
|>news, just mail.  I envision the following:
|>
|>	In my systems 'sys' file, I set up for batching.  This means that I
|>will get a list in a file by the name of the system I am interested in
|>normally forwarding a news feed to.  But, instead, I don't run sendbatch on
|>that account, simply *this* program which reads in the list of articles, and
|>proceeds to 'email' each one to a given user on another system.  Ideally, the
|>'subject' line would be parsed, and given to the mail system as a subject, or
|>the program would actually be a MTA without invoking the local bin/mail
|>program.  That way, all the headers in the 'news' item would be available to
|>the remote system's Mail user interface.
|>
|>	Does anything like this already exist, or do I have to write it???
|>
|>Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Well you "envisioned" correctly!  All you need to do is to simply create an
entry in your /usr/lib/news/sys file that reads:

#
# Send these groups to user via mail.
#
mail-news:comp.sys.att,unix-pc,world,na,att,usa::mail host!user

Of course you can change "mail-news" to whatever you like, and the groups
can be changed accordingly.  rnews automatically invokes the command at
the end of the line (if any exists) and the article is sent to that user
via mail.  There might be a "more elegant" way of doing it with some of
the netnews utilities, but this seems to be the easiest!

-Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny@icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...att    \

rroot@edm.UUCP (Stephen Samuel) (07/11/88)

In article <229@magnus.UUCP>, news@magnus.UUCP (magnus NEWS ADMIN) writes:

> I am looking for something which will allow me to (selectively) feed netnews
> groups from my big system as 'email' to other sites who are not set up for
> news, just mail.  I envision the following:
> Mike Levin

The following sys lines work just fine... The way they are set up, uucp will
directly read the news article in /usr/spool/news/..... This saves a bit of
disk space in the /usr/spool/uucp directory.
All of this is actually documented in the usenet docs you get with the news
source.. (I just can't remember exactly where at the moment)

Note that the mailing is done on the next remote system out, but the From
line is OK since this system's name is added to the fine when it is received.
brad:na,ab,edm,can,net,us,usa,world,,comp.sys.amiga,to.mailnet,to.neyessa:U:uux neyessa!mail brad '<' %s

The following line does a normal mail run (the message shows up in the
/usr/spool/uucp directory). I use it for low-volume stuff..  The mail
task is run on the local system.
usrgrp:na,ab,edm,net,us,usa,world,,to.mailnet,edm.all,ab.all::/bin/mail acsedm!hk ggc0!root neyessa!kelly rroot

--
 Stephen Samuel