[comp.sources.wanted] UNIX Windows for MSDOS.

sam@ncsuvx.UUCP (07/13/88)

I have heard about something called 'Unix Windows' or something such  as
that which runs on the Mac and Amiga. It lets you have multiple
terminal sessions over one async line with a system that is running the
appropriate peer software on the other end.

Is there software like this for the PC? For MSDOS? Public?

If so, where can I get it.

Thanks, Sam

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (07/17/88)

In article <1983@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, sam@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Your Friend Sam Moore) writes:
> I have heard about something called 'Unix Windows' or something such  as
> that which runs on the Mac and Amiga. It lets you have multiple
> terminal sessions over one async line with a system that is running the
> appropriate peer software on the other end.
> Is there software like this for the PC? For MSDOS? Public?
> If so, where can I get it.

I have only seen the Unix Windows program for the Mac and the Atari ST.
The ST sources are available from the netlib server at lakesys.  They
have the sources for the host software, and are testing them right now.
Once the sources have been OK'd, they will be available from netlib
also.

The ST code is probably NOT easily portable to the PC, it manipulates
screen memory directly (for speed).  I have used the UW program on the
ST in dumb-terminal mode (one session), and it is very fast.  The server
package should contain a complete description of the protocol used for
communicating between the different sessions - all you would have to do
is write an ADM3A emulator that supports multiple sessions using this
protocol.  On the PC, you would probably want to `flip' the screens for
the multiple terminals.

To get an index of the files available from lakesys, send a mail message
containing:

send index from archives.atari
send index

to uwmcsd1!lakesys!netlib.

--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for