[comp.sources.wanted] Wanted: MCI Mail <-> UUCP Mail software

hjp@bambam.UUCP (Howard J. Postley) (07/19/88)

Do any of you have the software, sendmail configuration files
and/or other software/information necessary to allow sending
mail from usenet to MCI Mail via maybe "mcimail!user".

Thanks,
Howard
--
Howard Postley      usenet:  uunet!bambam!hjp
On Word             phone:   +1 213 399 7733

logajan@ns.UUCP (John Logajan x3118) (07/19/88)

In article <12@bambam.UUCP>, hjp@bambam.UUCP (Howard J. Postley) writes:
> to allow mail from usenet to MCI Mail via maybe "mcimail!user".

Since MCI mail makes money delivering e-mail, you aren't likely to find a
"free" usenet entry into it.  They have an agreement with Compuserve and
Western Union, but each end charges for mail to be sent.  Since usenet
is out of control, an MCI Mail gateway is unlikely, in my opinion.

- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428 -
- {...rutgers!umn-cs, ...amdahl!bungia, ...uunet!rosevax!bungia} !ns!logajan -

David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com (07/22/88)

If you want to go from a UUCP/Usenet site to MCI Mail, you
might check out DA Systems, 1503 E. Campbell Ave., Campbell,
CA  95008, voice 408/559-7434.  They have a relay system called
DASnet that allows you to go from UUCP to MCI Mail, and virtually
all other public e-mail systems.  The cost comes out to $4.50
per month per user, plus roughly $.50 per message.  Large site
accounts are available.

I've used this system reliably for a year and it works great.
And yes, you have to pay for it...  :*)

David Buerger
Santa Clara University-- dbuerger@scu.bitnet

hjp@bambam.UUCP (Howard J. Postley) (07/23/88)

In article <486@ns.UUCP>, logajan@ns.UUCP (John Logajan x3118) writes:
> In article <12@bambam.UUCP>, hjp@bambam.UUCP (Howard J. Postley) writes:
> > to allow mail from usenet to MCI Mail via maybe "mcimail!user".
>
> Since MCI mail makes money delivering e-mail, you aren't likely to find a
> "free" usenet entry into it.  They have an agreement with Compuserve and
> Western Union, but each end charges for mail to be sent.  Since usenet
> is out of control, an MCI Mail gateway is unlikely, in my opinion.
>
> - John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428 -
> - {...rutgers!umn-cs, ...amdahl!bungia, ...uunet!rosevax!bungia} !ns!logajan -

I think that you misunderstood my message.  I am *not* looking for a site
to forward our mail to MCI Mail.  What I am looking for is software (and a
sendmail configuration) that will allow our site to send and receive messages
from MCI Mail via normal dial-up lines.  Don't need complex x.25 links or
any of the other things that the Compuserve, Western Union, et al. need and
have.  We have an MCI Account.  They bill us.  We pay them. :-)  I'm
just trying to get our various local (to our site) email systems linked up
for our use.  I don't want a service to do it for me.  Nor was the intention
to provide a service for others (although it is an idea).

// Howard
--

gary@apexepa.UUCP (Gary Wisniewski) (08/02/88)

In article <486@ns.UUCP> logajan@ns.UUCP (John Logajan x3118) writes:
>In article <12@bambam.UUCP>, hjp@bambam.UUCP (Howard J. Postley) writes:
>> to allow mail from usenet to MCI Mail via maybe "mcimail!user".
>
>Since MCI mail makes money delivering e-mail, you aren't likely to find a
>"free" usenet entry into it.  They have an agreement with Compuserve and
>Western Union, but each end charges for mail to be sent.  Since usenet
>is out of control, an MCI Mail gateway is unlikely, in my opinion.

I posted the original question which prompted this response.  What I was
looking for was software to implement a *local* gateway, not a public
access gateway.  I am aware that paymail systems are not candidates for
public access gateways.

I want to avoid having to call the local MCI mail number MANUALLY---I would
rather have my Sun do it, then relay the mail to me automatically.  I was
hoping that some software exists to perform this function.

--
Gary J. Wisniewski				  Apex Software Corporation
{allegra,bellcore,cadre}!pitt!darth!apexepa!gary  Phone: (412) 681-4343