[comp.sources.wanted] need help with nroff for okidata

kak@stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel) (08/10/88)

I have an okidata 192 attached to my 3b1.
(well, sort of....) Anyhow, it seems to have
difficulty printing out documents I produce
with nroff, especially underlines.
It seems to me that there must be some way of
getting nroff to use the control sequences
for the okidata itself, but I don't know how
to do it.

I'm going to need this REAL SOON, so does
anybody know I can get these two to work together?
	Kris A. Kugel
	Storage Tek: { uunet!nbires ncar decvax }!stcvax!stc-auts!kak
			maybe: uunet!stc-auts!kak

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (08/11/88)

In article <280@stc-auts.UUCP> kak@stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel) writes:
}I have an okidata 192 attached to my 3b1.
}(well, sort of....) Anyhow, it seems to have
}difficulty printing out documents I produce
}with nroff, especially underlines.
}It seems to me that there must be some way of
}getting nroff to use the control sequences
}for the okidata itself, but I don't know how
}to do it.

yes, there is.  you need to check out comp.sources.unix volume 13,
issue 69 from your local archive.  it provides a means of recreating
the nroff driver tables for your system.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with

msommer@altos86.UUCP (Mark Sommer) (08/13/88)

In article <280@stc-auts.UUCP> kak@stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel) writes:
>It seems to me that there must be some way of
>getting nroff to use the control sequences
>for the okidata itself, but I don't know how
>to do it.
I can't give you the specifics, because I don't have the manuals with me.  But I
can tell you that if you have the man pages for the utilities under 3.51 (can't
speak for earlier versions) for nroff and it's related doc prep stuff, you will
find the file format for a file called /usr/lib/nterm/tab.<name>.  <name> is
the printer acronym name.  This file is where you define the control strings
for all the various features of your unsupported printer.  It's really well
done in my opinion.  I haven't done it for may Mannesman Tally yet, but the
options are rather complete.  The manual I have which contains this info is the
User Manual Vol. 1.  Hope this helps.

~Mark

edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu (David MacKenzie) (08/14/88)

To translate nroff's underlining to the underlining (actually I
think I used italics) for my Epson printers, I just created termcap
entries for them defining only us and ue, and then filtered the
nroff output through ul -tlq1500 (for example) on its way to the
printer.  It seemed simpler than fiddling with reconfiguring nroff.
In fact, I did the same thing for the LaserJet before troff2lj was
working.

David MacKenzie