[comp.sources.wanted] Multi-Line, Multi-Channel Talk Program

flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) (09/07/88)

Does anyone know of a multi-line, multi-channel talk-like program for
Unix?  I am looking for something like CB on compuserve.  I don;t need
relay capability across different machines, all the users (speakers)
would be on the same machine.

--
Stephen Corbesero                              flash@lehi3b15.UUCP
VLSI Design Automation Lab                     usgcorb@vax1.cc.Lehigh.EDU

rcsmith@anagld.UUCP (Ray Smith) (09/07/88)

In article <416@lehi3b15.UUCP> flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
>Does anyone know of a multi-line, multi-channel talk-like program for
>Unix?  I am looking for something like CB on compuserve.  I don;t need
>relay capability across different machines, all the users (speakers)
>would be on the same machine.

There is a program called "conf" that went around a while back that should
fit your needs. It is available at some sites like "killer". Let me know
if you have trouble getting it.

			-Ray
        Ray Smith         | ...!uunet!mimsy!aplcen!\
     Analytics, Inc.      |             ...!netsys!---anagld!rcsmith
        Suite 200         |             ...!ethos! /
 9891 Broken Land Parkway |
    Columbia, MD 21046    | Voice: (301) 381-4300         Fax: (301) 381-5173

appleton@amyerg.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) (09/07/88)

In article <416@lehi3b15.UUCP>, flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
> Does anyone know of a multi-line, multi-channel talk-like program for
> Unix?

I would also be interested in a program like this so that I could let a
couple of users on my system at home. Would especially be nice if this
program had an interface to the news readers like vnews.

--
Ewan Grantham (601) 354-6454 ext. 452  Miss. Dept. of Corrections
{}!swbatl!amyerg!egranthm             (The Prison People)

chad@lakesys.UUCP (Chad Gibbons) (09/08/88)

In article <416@lehi3b15.UUCP> flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
|Does anyone know of a multi-line, multi-channel talk-like program for
|Unix?  I am looking for something like CB on compuserve.  I don;t need
|relay capability across different machines, all the users (speakers)
|would be on the same machine.

        There are, of course, literally tons of these out there. I myself
don't have any stored on system, just on paper, so I can't mail you one, but
many others will have a copy of blah-Chat or whatever. I'm also currently
involved in making a high-level chat, possibly using network communications as
well as simple one machine communications. I might also have direct terminal
access for message broadcasts, that would save the drives some..but poses
other problems. I've got it all designed, for the most part, all that needs to
be done now is (gasp) the coding.

--
Chad Gibbons           | System addresses:
1750 N. Hi-Mount Blvd. |        UUCP:   {backbone,uunet}!marque!lakesys!chad

felix@netmbx.UUCP (Felix Gaehtgens) (09/11/88)

In article <416@lehi3b15.UUCP> flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
>Does anyone know of a multi-line, multi-channel talk-like program for
>Unix?  I am looking for something like CB on compuserve.  I don;t need
>relay capability across different machines, all the users (speakers)
>would be on the same machine.

there is a program called vchat which does all of that. i think it's in the pd.
if there are some people interested i'll see if i can post the sources.

so long
			felix

BANG: {pyramid,unido,altger}!tub!tmpmbx!netmbx!felix
SMART: felix@netmbx.UUCP

jherr@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Jack Herrington) (09/13/88)

in article <1340@netmbx.UUCP>, felix@netmbx.UUCP (Felix Gaehtgens) says:
> there is a program called vchat which does all of that. i think it's in the pd.
> if there are some people interested i'll see if i can post the sources.

Please post the sources, there were a few chat programs floating around but
none that really brought it all together flawlessly, most were too delicate
for normal use.

-Jack