[comp.sources.wanted] Is there a "getopt" for PCs?

rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) (09/13/88)

Hi -

I know, this has been asked a zillion times before - but I didn't CARE
then... {cute smiley goes here}.

I need `getopt' functionality for my C programs running on a PC. I know
all about how msdos deals with command lines, so don't go into it. I
just want a ftp-able copy of source code to do getopt. I usually skip
this group, so please mail directly to me at

rob@asrcmv.albany.edu

If it matters, it's for TC 1.5.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
rob

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) (09/13/88)

In article <998@leah.Albany.Edu>, rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:
|> Hi -
|>
|> I know, this has been asked a zillion times before - but I didn't CARE
|> then... {cute smiley goes here}.
|>
|> I need `getopt' functionality for my C programs running on a PC. I know
|> all about how msdos deals with command lines, so don't go into it. I
|> just want a ftp-able copy of source code to do getopt. I usually skip
|> this group, so please mail directly to me at
|>
|> rob@asrcmv.albany.edu

Yeah, I know, we ain't worth much of your time.  Why should we
waste any more of it?
    Forrest Gehrke

|> If it matters, it's for TC 1.5.
|>
|> THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
|> rob

tif@cpe.UUCP (09/15/88)

Written  6:52 am  Sep 13, 1988 by clyde.UUCP!feg in cpe:comp.sources.w
>|> I need `getopt' functionality for my C programs running on a PC. I know
>|> all about how msdos deals with command lines, so don't go into it. I
>|> just want a ftp-able copy of source code to do getopt. I usually skip
>|> this group, so please mail directly to me at
>|>
>|> rob@asrcmv.albany.edu
>
>Yeah, I know, we ain't worth much of your time.  Why should we
>waste any more of it?

I have many times thought about flaming that sort of posting,
thank you for doing a mild version of it for me.  You have my support.

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{convex,killer}!ninja!cpe!tif

darylm@illian.UUCP (Daryl V. McDaniel) (09/15/88)

In article <998@leah.Albany.Edu>, rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:
|> Hi -
|>
|> I know, this has been asked a zillion times before - but I didn't CARE
|> then... {cute smiley goes here}.
|>
|> I need `getopt' functionality for my C programs running on a PC. I know
|> all about how msdos deals with command lines, so don't go into it. I
|> just want a ftp-able copy of source code to do getopt. I usually skip
|> this group, so please mail directly to me at
|>
|> rob@asrcmv.albany.edu
|>
|> If it matters, it's for TC 1.5.
|>
|> THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
|> rob

There is a version of getopt provided with the Turbo C V1.5 distribution.
It is essentially the same one as has been posted many times to
comp.sources.unix.  I would suggest that you take a good look at your
disks.
Daryl V. McDaniel
Micronetics			USENET:	...tektronix!nosun!illian!darylm
4730 S.W. 182nd Ave.		 TELEX:	WUI 6972206
Aloha, OR   97007		 PHONE:	(503) 224-7056

jesse@proxftl.UUCP (Jesse Perry) (09/16/88)

In article <2300007@cpe>, tif@cpe.UUCP writes:

> Written  6:52 am  Sep 13, 1988 by clyde.UUCP!feg in cpe:comp.sources.w

> >Yeah, I know, we ain't worth much of your time.  Why should we
> >waste any more of it?
> >    Forrest Gehrke
>
> I have many times thought about flaming that sort of posting,
> thank you for doing a mild version of it for me.  You have my support.
>
>                       Paul Chamberlain

Let's see now, the original poster made a simple request for getopt()
source code, and *in line with proper Usenet protocol* asked that
he doesn't ordinarily read this group (i.e., he only comes here when
he has a problem to solve), at least two people were sufficiently
offended that they posted nasty responses.

Don't ever take a job in a library, guys, because you'll find that
many of the people who go to one only do so when they have to find
some piece of information which they don't know how to find elsewhere.
That *does not* mean that they deserve abuse for having the temerity
to seek help.

And before you post to say that people who won't contribute to a group
shouldn't expect benefits from it, consider that a person who doesn't
know much about where to find various sources is *for that reason*
unlikely to be able to contribute to this group by reading it regularly.
Does that mean such a person should not ask for help here?  Of course
not; the whole purpose of this group is to help such people find what
they need.

Jesse Perry           INTERNET: jesse%proxftl.uucp@uunet.uu.com
3511 NE 22 Ave          BITNET: allegra!novavax!proxftl!jesse@psuvax1.uucp
Ft Lauderdale, FL 33308   UUCP: uunet!proxftl!jesse
(305)537-2143

tif@cpe.UUCP (09/17/88)

Written 10:05 am  Sep 16, 1988 by proxftl.UUCP!jesse in cpe:comp.sources.w
>But because he admitted that
>he doesn't ordinarily read this group (i.e., he only comes here when
>he has a problem to solve), at least two people were sufficiently
>offended that they posted nasty responses.

Yep.  The point (at least my point), was that it's obvious this group
is not very exciting reading.  But, if all of us "skipped this group"
because it's not exciting, the group wouldn't be of much help.

If I wanted something from a group I don't usually read and it was
even trivially important, I think I would subscribe to the group for
a couple of weeks rather than say "I think this group is boring, but,
can you help me ...."  Rather, I'm willing to meet them half-way.

It's like having a girl-friend that only calls when she needs a favor,
it's like ... oh never-mind.  I'll contain my future "nasty responses."

wsiebeck@rmi.UUCP (Wolfgang Siebeck) (09/23/88)

In article <998@leah.Albany.Edu> rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:
: I need `getopt' functionality for my C programs running on a PC. I know
: ....
: If it matters, it's for TC 1.5.

So what? If you got TURBOC, you got getopt.c, it is included in the package!
Just take a look at the distribution diskettes, it comes from Borland.

greetings,
Wolfgang