[comp.sources.wanted] Looking for the original C adventure

pearl@porthos.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) (09/19/88)

Howdy!

I am looking for the original ADVENTURE, preferably written C or
Pascal.  Any pointers?  Thanks!

Steve

Stephen Pearl (Starbuck)    Work: (201)932-2443   Home: (201)246-3927
UUCP:  rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!pearl   ARPA:  pearl@aramis.rutgers.edu
US MAIL:  LPO 12749 CN 5064, New Brunswick, NJ 08903
QUOTES: "What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19
	"Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (09/19/88)

In article <Sep.18.15.35.56.1988.6658@porthos.rutgers.edu> pearl@porthos.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:
}Howdy!
}
}I am looking for the original ADVENTURE, preferably written C or
}Pascal.  Any pointers?  Thanks!

"preferably" is a bit odd -- either you want the original or you
don't.  The original was written in Fortran; it was not-long-after
redone pretty extensively, again in Fortran, and it is this second
version that is the first that really leaked out to the world at
large.  I think it (the revised version) got posted to
comp.sources.games a while back and so can probably be found in
someones archives somewhere.  For the record (most folks know this, I
think) Will Crowther invented it all singlehandedly and wrote the first
version at BBN; Don Woods at SRI did the revision (and expansion) [I
don't know the exact details of the revision, since it happened after
Willy left here for PARC]

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

play@cwi.nl (The MC Funhouse Master) (09/19/88)

In article <29787@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
 > In article <Sep.18.15.35.56.1988.6658@porthos.rutgers.edu> pearl@porthos.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:
 > }I am looking for the original ADVENTURE, preferably written C or
 > }Pascal.  Any pointers?  Thanks!
 >
 > "preferably" is a bit odd -- either you want the original or you
 > don't.  The original was written in Fortran; it was not-long-after
 > redone pretty extensively, again in Fortran, and it is this second
 > version that is the first that really leaked out to the world at
 > large.  I think it (the revised version) got posted to
 > comp.sources.games a while back and so can probably be found in
 > someones archives somewhere.
No, it has never been posted to the net (at least not the last 10 years
or so).  But the original program has been rewritten in C.  Once at UCLA
(this had a beautiful bug: tell lauren@ucla-security that fatal bug 25
happened), but this was never distributed in source.  Another rewrite was
done at rand (jim@rand-unix).  It might also be that the first was based
on the second.  The sources for the second are in all BSD distributions
(and as it does not contain AT&T code it might be publicly available,
though I am not sure).  On the other hand the source is not much to
look at, containing all kinds of labels like L00080 etc.
--
Game Keeper
Mail: play@cwi.nl

ech@poseidon.UUCP (Edward C Horvath) (09/22/88)

From article <Sep.18.15.35.56.1988.6658@porthos.rutgers.edu>, by pearl@porthos.rutgers.edu (Starbuck):
> Howdy!

> I am looking for the original ADVENTURE, preferably written C or
> Pascal.  Any pointers?  Thanks!

> Stephen Pearl (Starbuck)

The original was written in (*GASP*) FORTRAN.  Are you SURE you want it...?

=Ned Horvath=

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (09/26/88)

In article <508@poseidon.UUCP> ech@poseidon.UUCP (Edward C Horvath) writes:
-From article <Sep.18.15.35.56.1988.6658@porthos.rutgers.edu>, by pearl@porthos.rutgers.edu (Starbuck):
-- Howdy!
-
-- I am looking for the original ADVENTURE, preferably written C or
-- Pascal.  Any pointers?  Thanks!
-
-- Stephen Pearl (Starbuck)
-
-The original was written in (*GASP*) FORTRAN.  Are you SURE you want it...?
-
-=Ned Horvath=

Wasn't it even so that it was written in (come help me die) MUDDLE ?

Anyway, the source (Fortran) I've seen is not a waste. It's documented (!)
in an understandable way (comments in the source code) which will help
anyone writing an adventure of their own in a more strucutured language.