[comp.sources.wanted] UNIX Curses Library for MS-DOS

ehrlich@blitz.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (09/27/88)

I am trying to port some code from a UNIX system to a system running
MS-DOS 3.4 and MSC 5.1 only to discover that some of it uses the UNIX
curses library.  Does anyone know if a functionally equivalent package
(not MSWindos please) exists for MS-DOS?  I would appreciate hearing
about one if it exists.  Thanks in advance.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@blitz.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be attributed
Department of Computer Science         | to anyone else, living or dead.
University Park, PA   16802            |

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (09/27/88)

In article <3976@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@blitz.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>I am trying to port some code from a UNIX system to a system running
>MS-DOS 3.4 and MSC 5.1 only to discover that some of it uses the UNIX
>curses library.

I have had good luck with the Aspen Scientific package.  It's $119 for
linkable object, $289 for source.  I have found good compatibility with
System V curses, I'm ignorant of BSD.  It's fairly compatible with Xenix.

Aspen Scientific
P.O. Box 72
Wheat Ridge, CO  80034-0072
(800) 255-5550 X176

I'm just a satisified customer, no other connection.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill

c60c-4au@e260-4b.berkeley.edu (Erik Talvola) (09/27/88)

In article <3976@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@blitz.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>I am trying to port some code from a UNIX system to a system running
>MS-DOS 3.4 and MSC 5.1 only to discover that some of it uses the UNIX
>curses library.  Does anyone know if a functionally equivalent package
>(not MSWindos please) exists for MS-DOS?  I would appreciate hearing
>about one if it exists.  Thanks in advance.

I have a port of curses for the IBM PC which I have been very happy with.
It consists of the PCCURSES.ARC file on SIMTEL20.ARPA (which was also
posted to comp.sources.misc I believe), and the patches posted recently
to comp.sources.misc.  I have written an application which uses only a
few curses routines, but the code ran unmodified on both Microsoft C 5.1
and on a Sun 3/50.  I could send you an ARC of the source, or the compiled
libraries (all 4 memory models), if you want, or if you can ftp SIMTEL20,
you can get it there.  (Or maybe check out an archiving place for comp.
sources.misc.)  Good luck.

--
Erik Talvola					| "The soul I took from you
c60c-4au@web.berkeley.edu			|  was not even missed..."