[comp.sources.wanted] Portability problems.

pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme) (10/07/88)

We are porting a piece of software called edit-one to an vax 8600
running ultrix. In the program itself are several definitions that
apparently were in included files in other systems, but do not exist
here. Some are as follows,
KEY_UP
KEY_DOWN
Etc Etc
KEY_IL
KEY_IC
KEY_EIC
and all sorts of other fun definitions. (I can pretty much figure out
what key up, key down  etc is) (The IL EIC IC, oh well)
KEY_F(c)
where c is an integer apparently refering to a function key, and the
function returns to an int. If anyone has a clue to what these are, or
better yet, can mail me a copy of the include file, it would be
appreciated.

thanks.

Pat                           !dartvax!anselm!pfarrell

--
J u s t   b e c a u s e   y o u
d o n ' t   s e e   i t ,

c60c-4au@web-4f.berkeley.edu (Erik Talvola) (10/10/88)

In article <200@anselm.UUCP> pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme) writes:
,We are porting a piece of software called edit-one to an vax 8600
,running ultrix. In the program itself are several definitions that
,apparently were in included files in other systems, but do not exist
,here. Some are as follows,
,KEY_UP

<list deleted...>

, If anyone has a clue to what these are, or
,better yet, can mail me a copy of the include file, it would be
,appreciated.

These are taken from <curses.h>, which is available on nearly all Unix
systems as far as I know, but may not generally be available on Ultrix.
However, if curses.h isn't on your system, the curses library may not be
either, which would make it nearly impossible to get the program running.

--
Erik Talvola               | "It's just what we need... a colossal negative
c60c-4au@web.berkeley.edu  | space wedgie of great power coming right at us

c60c-4au@web-4b.berkeley.edu (Erik Talvola) (10/10/88)

In article <15216@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60c-4au@web-4f.berkeley.edu (Erik Talvola) writes:
>In article <200@anselm.UUCP> pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme) writes:
>,We are porting a piece of software called edit-one to an vax 8600
>,running ultrix. In the program itself are several definitions that
>,apparently were in included files in other systems, but do not exist
>,here. Some are as follows,
>,KEY_UP
>
><list deleted...>

And I replied (without checking my facts...)

>These are taken from <curses.h> ...

I just noticed after posting this article that the key definitions are not
in the curses.h file on the Sun 3/50's here at U.C. Berkeley, but they are
in the curses.h file in the port of PC Curses that I have (which is based
on the public domain ncurses package for *nix).  Possibly you should look
for the Ncurses package if you are having troubles.

--

morrell@hpsal2.HP.COM (Michael Morrell) (10/11/88)

/ hpsal2:comp.sources.wanted / pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme) /  6:12 am  Oct  7, 1988 /
[...]

These are "#define"d in /usr/include/curses.h on System V machines and their
variants.  I assume ultrix is BSD-based.  The curses package on System V
has a method to accept input from "special" keys.  For example, many keyboards
have keys labelled "Insert Line" (KEY_IL), "Next" (KEY_NEXT), "Delete Char"
(KEY_DC), and several others (KEY_EIC stands for "Exit Insert Character").

I don't think there is much you can do except to "#ifdef" around these.

Hope this helps,

  Michael