[comp.sources.wanted] C compiler for an IBM 4381 under VM/SP.

logex@altger.UUCP (logex) (10/24/88)

Hello all:
We are trying to install a C compiler in a IBM 4381 mainframe,
that runs under VM/SP (virtual machine/system product), we just
have a very minor problem: We have no C compiler availiable!
We havent been able to find any C compiler for the 4381, we have
looked in tons of places for it,(including IBM, of course).
We will appreciate if anyone can help us getting that C compiler, if
there one PD C compiler availiable, please let me know, or better if you
can send me the files.
Any further information about C compilers for the IBM 4381 will
be useful.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Receive our best regards.

									Ed.

UUCP:...uunet!unido!altger!logex		-mail and files-
BITNET: 308551@vmtecmex.BITNET		  -mail only!-

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (10/25/88)

In article <1083@altger.UUCP> logex@altger.UUCP (logex) writes:
>We are trying to install a C compiler in a IBM 4381 mainframe,
>that runs under VM/SP (virtual machine/system product), we just
>have a very minor problem: We have no C compiler availiable!
>We havent been able to find any C compiler for the 4381, we have
>looked in tons of places for it, (including IBM, of course).

But there is an IBM C compiler (done by Whitesmith's, I believe)
which runs under both MVS and VM/CMS.  There is also a compiler
from the SAS Institute (originally Lattice C), and again it runs
under both MVS and VM/CMS (you can even compile on one OS and move
the object deck to the other).  There is also the NorCroft
compiler from the UK (I can post the address if there's interest).
None of these is PD, nor even source available.  If you need that,
you could pick up a copy of the GNU C compiler GCC and have some
fun making it generate 4381 code...

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (10/25/88)

Re: C compiler for VM/SP (4381)

Have you looked to WATCOM in Waterloo Ontario.  They make C compilers for
the IBM 370.

talent@dover.uucp (Steve Talent) (10/26/88)

Another note that was posted mentioned an IBM C compiler by Whitesmiths, Ltd.
This a Program Offering from IBM (Products 5713-AAG and 5713-AAH).  Their
compiler is supported under both MVS and VM/SP.  Your IBM rep. should be able
to help you given the Product numbers.

I have used the compiler on a 4361 without many problems.  It is reported to
be compatible with proposed ANSI standard (April 1985 draft of the X3J11
Committee Standard).
--
Steve Talent, Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector CAD
Mesa, AZ    ...!sunburn!dover!talent