[comp.sources.wanted] ksh enhancements?

exodus@mfgfoc.uucp (Greg Onufer) (10/27/88)

Has anybody enhanced ksh to improve its utility?  I am specifically
interested in file-completion a la SunOS 3.5 (and higher) C-Shell.

I am interested in any enhancements and will either mail or post
a summary if there is interest.

(Are you allowed to make enhancements to ksh?  Should probably ask that
first!)

-greg onufer

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (10/27/88)

In article <452@mfgfoc.uucp> exodus@mfgfoc.uucp (Greg Onufer) writes:
>Has anybody enhanced ksh to improve its utility?  I am specifically
>interested in file-completion a la SunOS 3.5 (and higher) C-Shell.

wait, the ksh-ell that i'm currently using does a wonderful
job on file completion.  in emacs mode, esc-esc will complete
any wildcards or even partial completed file/dir names.

note that this is on both the vaxen at work ( V.2&3 ) and also
on my AT-clone at home running microport ( V.2 ).  ksh is in the
standard distribution for microport.

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...!att!moss!wtr

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (10/28/88)

>Has anybody enhanced ksh to improve its utility?  I am specifically
>interested in file-completion a la SunOS 3.5 (and higher) C-Shell.

Umm, credit where credit is due; you meant "a la 4.3BSD C shell".

We had it when I was at Sun, but I think it came from somewhere else; I
don't know where.

>(Are you allowed to make enhancements to ksh?

I don't see why not.  Of course, you can't post the changed files to the
net; presumably, there are no worse restrictions on posting deltas than
there are for posting deltas to other AT&T-licensed code (he says,
weaselwordedly; I don't know what AT&T's lawyers would think about e.g.
"diff -c" output, if they knew about it, and I don't know if anybody
else from AT&T would want to tell them about it, for fear of what they
would think...).