[comp.sources.wanted] Program to remove fragmentation from Sys V disks

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (10/31/88)

I'm looking for some code that can be run on an unmounted Sys V file system
to remove fragmentation.

I know that I could backup and restore, but I need something automated
 - like unmounting a not in use file system in the middle of the night
 and cleaning it up.

If not, does anyone have detailed information on the superblock
structure of a Sys V file system?

--
Jon Zeeff      			Ann Arbor, MI
umix!b-tech!zeeff  		zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

cgh018@tijc02.UUCP (Calvin Hayden ) (11/04/88)

> I'm looking for some code that can be run on an unmounted Sys V file system
> to remove fragmentation.
>
> I know that I could backup and restore, but I need something automated
>  - like unmounting a not in use file system in the middle of the night
>  and cleaning it up.
>
> If not, does anyone have detailed information on the superblock
> structure of a Sys V file system?
>

> --
> Jon Zeeff      			Ann Arbor, MI
> umix!b-tech!zeeff  		zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

Well, I had the same question myself.  There is a product on the
market --AIM Disk Tuner by AIM TECHNOLOGY @ 1 (800) 848-UNIX--
which supposedly allows the automation of doing disk compressions on
fragmented systems.  At this time, I don't know how well the
product works.

Detailed information on the structure of the superblock may
be obtained from the <sys/filsys.h> file.  On our system (Sys V 2.2),
this is /usr/include/sys/filsys.h.   There may be other sources for
information -- this is the first that came to mind.  Hope this is
of some help.

-------------
Calvin
   @
     UUCP :  mcnc!rti!tijc02!cgh018
-------------

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (11/04/88)

In article <4901@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
(Jon Zeeff) writes:
>I'm looking for some code that can be run on an unmounted Sys V file system
>to remove fragmentation.

Is there any reason why either the '-s' or the '-S' option of 'fsck(8)'
wouldn't do what you want?

Some persons advocate regular use of 'fsck -S' as a prophylactic measure
to reorganize the inode free-list.
--
Jean-Pierre Radley		Honi soit		jpr@dasys1.UUCP
New York, New York		qui mal			...!hombre!jpradley!jpr

john@ziggy.UUCP (John Mullins) (11/06/88)

In article <274@tijc02.UUCP> cgh018@tijc02.UUCP (Calvin Hayden    ) writes:
>> I'm looking for some code that can be run on an unmounted Sys V file system
>> to remove fragmentation.
[text deleted]
>> --
>> Jon Zeeff      			Ann Arbor, MI
>> umix!b-tech!zeeff  		zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
>
>Well, I had the same question myself.  There is a product on the
>market --AIM Disk Tuner by AIM TECHNOLOGY @ 1 (800) 848-UNIX--
>which supposedly allows the automation of doing disk compressions on
       ^^^^^^^^^^
>fragmented systems.  At this time, I don't know how well the
>product works.

[stuff deleted on file system structure]
>-------------
>Calvin
>   @
>     UUCP :  mcnc!rti!tijc02!cgh018
>-------------

This is serious - Do not use this product without first doing a full
backup of the file system in question.  Do not expect to use this product
without some QA testing.

A customer of the company I work for recently installed this product, with
disasterous results.  At first 'AIM Disk Tuner' appeared to be working as
advertised, but after several days operation, the super block of the file
system in question was effectively scrambled.

Let the guru beware on this one!

--
John Mullins
Frederick, Md