[comp.sources.wanted] IBM/MAC scanners

GAM@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (11/16/88)

======================================================================== 11

I heard there is a MAC scanner which uses a program called OMNI for optical
character recognition.  Has anyone seen a demonstration?  Is there one
available for the IBM PC?  Is there another list available I should subscribe
to related to scanning in general?  Any information would be appreciated,
thanks.

If there is a bulletin board which discusses this already please send
Electronic Mail to:

Gregory A. Mouning
User Services Consultant
BITNET address:   GAM@YALEVM.BITNET
ARPANET address:  GAM@YALEVM.YCC.YALE.EDU
UUNET address:    GAM%YALEVM.BITNET@UUNET.UU.NET

ba@pbhyg.PacBell.COM (3333 25th St. #800) (11/17/88)

In article <105@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu> GAM@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu writes:
>======================================================================== 11
>
>I heard there is a MAC scanner which uses a program called OMNI for optical
>character recognition.  Has anyone seen a demonstration?  Is there one
>available for the IBM PC?  Is there another list available I should subscribe
                   ^^^^^^^

      Yes, there is such program available for HP SCANJET.  The name
      skips my mind, but I am sure anywhere you lookup a scanjet, they
      should point out the available OCR as well as Graphic packages
      that you may use with HP Scanjet.

      The graphic scanner, by the way, scans at a resolution of 300 x 300
      and producessome impressive images.  The image we scanned was a
      color photograph of a group of 50 people.  You could pretty much
      recognize the faces in the black and white print of the scanned
      image.  (It took 3+ minutes to print!, and the storage requirements
      are substantial, can go up to 3 meg per image).

      With the OCR, you're able to scan a letter, statement, etc. and
      then modify the scanned text with any word processor.  Depending
      on the clarity and crispness of the original text, you may
      reach 100% accuracy through OCR.

--
Behzad Alavi      +-----------------------------------+
pacbell!pbhyg!ba  |                                   |

alans@spked.UUCP (Alan Smith of IM) (11/18/88)

Yes , there's an OCR program for the Apple Scanner called
OmniPage. It's by a company called Caere Corp. I don't have their
number handy here but they advertise in all the Mac Tabloids and
magazines.

Hope this helps.

PS They're also working on a version for MS-DOS machines that'll
work with the HP Scanjet scanner.

--
The contents of this message are totally unauthorized, and represent no person
or entity within any agency, nor any statement of policy.