[comp.sources.wanted] WANTED: disassembled copy of internet virus

waters@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jim Waters) (11/13/88)

  I was recently informed that some folks at Purdue did a real nice
job of symbolically disassembling the binary part of the recent
Internet virus.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a copy
locally.  Is there anyone out there who snagged a copy who would be
kind enough to mail it to me?
  Thanks in advance.

           Jim Waters
Internet:  waters@umunhum.stanford.edu
uucp:      decwrl!umunhum.stanford.edu!waters
bitnet:    waters%umunhum.stanford.edu@stanford

What's that?  Don't I have anything really profound to say here . . . Nope.

cochran@cadsun.DAB.GE.COM (Craig Cochran) (11/15/88)

In article <5011@polya.Stanford.EDU> waters@umunhum.Stanford.EDU (Jim Waters) writes:

>  I was recently informed that some folks at Purdue did a real nice
>job of symbolically disassembling the binary part of the recent
>Internet virus.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a copy
>locally.  Is there anyone out there who snagged a copy who would be
>kind enough to mail it to me?

I'm sure that your interest in the virus source (or disassembled version
of same) is of pure academic nature, but do you think it is a good idea
to have publicly distributed copies of this program lying around the
net?  While most of us have "immunized" ourselves against this
particular strain, this is something that may come back to bite us
again in the future in the event that some irresponsible user
(nothing insinuated here) accidentally or purposely unleashes a
similar blight upon us a year or more down the road.  With the
source or assembly code available, it wouldn't be difficult to
modify the virus to get around the publicly distributed patch.

Am I overly paranoid?  Granted I myself was very interested in reading
Gene Spafford's description of how the virus worked, but knowledge in the
wrong hands is hazardous.  I'm as much of a UNIX enthusiast as anyone,
but I'm inclined to think the virus should be placed under lock
and key until the (very-powerful-yet-too-open) UNIX System matures
into a secure O/S.

Again, am I paranoid?  Comments accepted via e-mail, or post if appropriate.

-Craig

(Standard Disclaimers apply.)

--
Craig S. Cochran <cochran@ge-dab.GE.COM>
                                            General Electric Company

waters@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jim Waters) (11/15/88)

Sorry, I didn't really know where to send this, but since it does
pertain to whether comp.sources.wanted requests should be granted, I
guess I'll post it here.

In article <1435@ge-dab.GE.COM> cochran@ge-dab.GE.COM (Craig Cochran) writes:

>I'm sure that your interest in the virus source (or disassembled version
>of same) is of pure academic nature, but do you think it is a good idea
>to have publicly distributed copies of this program lying around the
>net?  While most of us have "immunized" ourselves against this
>particular strain, this is something that may come back to bite us
>again in the future in the event that some irresponsible user
>(nothing insinuated here) accidentally or purposely unleashes a
>similar blight upon us a year or more down the road.  With the
>source or assembly code available, it wouldn't be difficult to
>modify the virus to get around the publicly distributed patch.

  If relatively small modifications to the virus code will produce
another viable virus, then I think it is quite clear that people
should peer into the code a little more closely and see what can be
done to stop this.  I would like to think that we will find all the
holes the virus exploits and close them.  I don't trust the NSA to
tell me what holes the virus exploits--if some of the postings in
comp.unix.wizards are true, the NSA finds lots of holes, but it
doesn't bother to report them.  The only way to be sure what holes
remain to be exploited is to look, and these sources are one of the
best references to look at.
  In any case, lots of people have the binaries, and it is quite
possible to disassemble and understand them.  If I wanted to write a
virus, I'd go to the trouble myself.  Since all I want to do is read
the code, it's not worth the amount of time it would take to decode.
So I'm looking for someone who has done it already.

      Jim Waters                 INTERNET: waters@umunhum.stanford.edu
USPS: P.O. Box 13735                       waters@argus.stanford.edu
      Stanford, CA 94309         UUCP:  ...decwrl!umunhum.stanford.edu!waters
AT+T: (415)323-3063              BITNET:   waters%umunhum.stanford.edu@stanford

What's that?  Don't I have anything really profound to say here . . . Nope.

wdao@castor.usc.edu (Walter Dao) (11/16/88)

About somebody not wanting to post it.

There was once a time called the middle ages.  Roman catholicism was the
ruling order. One of the ideas flying aroung was that the earth was flat and
was the center of the universe.
Of course astronomers who said that it was not so had their books burned.
And often they were judged to be heretics.

Peace by Ignorance is definitely not the way to go , bud !!!

DW.

cochran@cadsun.DAB.GE.COM (Craig Cochran) (11/17/88)

I see your point.

I just don't want to someday retreive the index from some random
archive-server and see "virus.shar" listed.  That gives me the
heebie-jeebies.

--

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (11/17/88)

In article <1927@nunki.usc.edu> wdao@castor.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:
>There was once a time called the middle ages.  Roman catholicism was the
>ruling order. One of the ideas flying aroung was that the earth was flat and
>was the center of the universe.
>Of course astronomers who said that it was not so had their books burned.
>And often they were judged to be heretics.

Get your facts straight before posting.
During the Middle Ages (which ended in about the 14th century),
the standard astronomical text was Ptolemy's, which
- said that the distance to the fixed stars was so great
  that the Earth could be regarded as a mathematical point
- did _NOT_ place the Earth at the centre of the Universe
  (near the centre, yes; at the centre, no).
- stated that the Earth was a sphere, and contained a figure
  for its diameter which was about 20% out.
Several people were judged to be heretics because they _were_
heretics:  Giordano Bruno was a practising magician, for example.

Koestler's "The Sleepwalkers" is a good introduction.

cochran@cadsun.DAB.GE.COM (Craig Cochran) (11/18/88)

In article <1927@nunki.usc.edu> wdao@castor.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:

>About somebody not wanting to post it.
>
>There was once a time called the middle ages.  Roman catholicism was the
>ruling order. One of the ideas flying aroung was that the earth was flat and
>was the center of the universe.
>Of course astronomers who said that it was not so had their books burned.
>And often they were judged to be heretics.
>
>Peace by Ignorance is definitely not the way to go , bud !!!
>
>DW.

When I brought up the question, I pointed out that I understand the
original requestor's reason for distributing the code, and presented
a few things for the net to consider. Then I open-mindedly invited
people to comment intelligently on this.  I didn't say I was
*right*, just *concerned*.  Look, The net is for *discussion*,
not ridicule and flames, especially when you don't even have any
constructive points to add.  All you are doing with postings like
that is making yourself sound like an idiot.

If feel you need to flame me any more, do it via e-mail.  Please
reserve the net for intelligent and open-minded discussions.

--
Craig S. Cochran <cochran@ge-dab.GE.COM>
                                            General Electric Company
UUCP:   ...!mcnc!ge-rtp!ge-dab!cochran      1800 Volusia Ave, Rm 4112
Phone:  (904) 239-3124                      Daytona Beach, FL 32015

annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) (11/19/88)

  This may be an unpopular opinion ... but I would be seriously concerned
about the redistribution of disassembled/decompiled or even binary copies
of the computer virus ... the impact of this little beastie has been so
great that any opportunity to limit its potential mutation and/or spread
should probably be taken most seriously.

  AJ Annala, USC Neuroscience Program