[comp.sources.wanted] Emulating MS-DOS under UNIX

peter@stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) (11/15/88)

Does anyone have, or know of, a program that will allow a "well-behaved"
MS-DOS program to be emulated under UNIX.  Ie an 8086 and MS-DOS emulator.
Preferably source form and free.

Please reply via email.
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)         peter@stca77.stc.oz
Alcatel-STC Australia        ...!uunet!stca77.stc.oz!peter

simcha@humming.UUCP (Simcha Lerner) (11/17/88)

In article <346@stca77.stc.oz> peter@stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) writes:
>Does anyone have, or know of, a program that will allow a "well-behaved"
>MS-DOS program to be emulated under UNIX.  Ie an 8086 and MS-DOS emulator.
>Preferably source form and free.
>--
>Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)         peter@stca77.stc.oz
>Alcatel-STC Australia        ...!uunet!stca77.stc.oz!peter
>41 Mandible St               peter%stca77.stc.oz@uunet.UU.NET
>ALEXANDRIA  NSW  2015

If you have a 80386 based system, I know of two commercial systems for
running multiple dos programs under unix:

The first is VP/ix, by Phoenix Technologies Ltd., located in Norwood, MA.
This system is excellent, allowing full IBM PC emulation in totally
non-hardware-compatible environments. (Seeing Lotus 123 running on a vt102
is amazing...) This system is used by Microsoft/SCO for Xenix '386, by AT&T
for their Unix/386, by SUN for their 386i (alas - Sun is using a stripped
down version that removes PC screen emulation from remote ttys - only on
the console :-( ), and many other Unix vendors.

Locus has a similar product, Merge '386. I am not familiar with the exact
details, but I __think__ they require a more pc compatible hardware
platform than VP/ix. They also sell a system that allows a single DOS
program to run under Unix on a '286 box (named Merge '286 - of course).
Merge '286 originally only ran on an AT&T '286 based PC, and I don't know
if they ever made it generic.

Both of the '386 based products need to work closely with the kernel, so
you probably can only get whichever system your unix supplier sells, but it
wouldn't hurt to give both of the above a call.

Given the HUGE effort to achieve a good virtual 386 mode monitor, develope
a device driver that allows dos to transparently access the unix file
system as if it was a dos drive, etc, I doubt you will see a system posted
to the net.

Good luck in your search.

Simcha Lerner
harvard!humming!simcha

josef@ugun21.UUCP (11/21/88)

Reading Simcha Lerner's response, I find that what he (she?) sais is
that:

If You have a PC, You can run MSDOS programs.
(In my opinion everything that has an 80x86/80x88 inside
is a PC, whether it actually runs MSDOS/PCDOS or not 8-)

Something that would actually be interesting would be a genuine,
"portable" MSDOS/80x8x emulator, that can run e.g. on a VAX/Sun/...

		Josef Moellers

	paper mail:			e-mail:
c/o Nixdorf Computer AG		USA:  uunet!linus!nixbur!nixpbe!mollers.pad
Abt. EG-3			!USA: mcvax!unido!nixpbe!mollers.pad
Unterer Frankfurter Weg
D-4790 Paderborn
tel.: (+49) 5251 104691

Standard disclaimer: Blablabla opinion blablabla employer blablabla!