[comp.sources.wanted] Raster-to-vector program sought

gadfly@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Gadfly) (11/23/88)

I'm posting this for a friend.
I am hunting for any raster-to-vector conversion programs that may
be out there which run under MS-DOS, something that will allow me
to read into a CAD program the output from a scanner or paint pro-
gram.  If you have any info (or binaries or source code), give me
a call at (work) 608-246-0404 or (home) 608-249-6218.  Thanks.

						    Ed Korn
Or you can get hold of me instead, by phone or e-mail.

                      *** ***
J'EN AI RAS-LE-BOL  ***** *****
                   ****** ******  23 Nov 88 [3 Frimaire An CXCVII]
ken perlow         *****   *****
(312)979-8042       ** ** ** **
att!ihlpa!gadfly      *** ***

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (11/24/88)

In article <10607@ihlpa.ATT.COM> gadfly@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Gadfly) writes:
>I am hunting for any raster-to-vector conversion programs that may
>be out there which run under MS-DOS, something that will allow me
>to read into a CAD program the output from a scanner or paint pro-
>gram.

     Autodesk, until the beginning of 1988, offered CAD/camera, a system
for doing exactly that.  However, it was only modestly successful; only
about 400 copies sold at $3000 retail, so they no longer offer it.
However, there may be some copies still available at the larger AutoCAD
dealers.  Supported scanners include Datacopy, Wang, and some E-sized
monsters.  Requires MS-DOS 2.x or greater, 640K, a hard disk, and a
Hercules display.  Output is compatible with AutoCAD.  Images up to
6800 x 9400 pixels are accepted.

     I wrote the system.  It's reliable, but rather literal-minded.  The
most useful application turned out to be scanning of utility-company maps.
Engineering drawings scanned are faithful to the paper, but people want
them faithful to the meaning of the drawing, with the CAD database
properly representing all the dimensions in the drawings.  This it does not
do.

					John Nagle