[net.music] Greenslade and Happy the Man

urban@bmcg.UUCP (Urban Jangren) (10/04/85)

Does anyone out there have any info on Kit Watkins
or Andrew McCulloch.

Kit Watkins used to play in a group called "Happy
the Man" (1977). He plays the Moog with wonderful
feeling. He also played on the "I can see you from
here" (1979) album by "Camel".

Andrew McCulloch used to play drums with the group
"Greenslade".

Any information about those two, or the groups they
used to play in would be appreciated.

rosen@ucbvax.ARPA (Rob Rosen) (10/06/85)

In article <1919@bmcg.UUCP> urban@bmcg.UUCP (Urban Jangren) writes:

>Does anyone out there have any info on Kit Watkins
>or Andrew McCulloch.
>
>Kit Watkins used to play in a group called "Happy
>the Man" (1977). He plays the Moog with wonderful
>feeling. He also played on the "I can see you from
>here" (1979) album by "Camel".

   Kit Watkins played keyboards and flute on HAPPY THE MAN (1977),
CRAFTY HANDS(1978), and BETTER LATE...(recorded in 1979 but released in
1983) with Happy the Man, a Washington, DC group which took its name from
an old unreleased single by Genesis.  Happy the Man's first two albums have
been out of print for a long time, but the latest one is availible from
Azimuth Records, Box 3495, Arlington, Va. 22203.  Kit Watkins has also
recorded two solo albums (I recommend the earlier one, entitled LABYRINTH)
and a "project" album with Coco Roussell (sp?); all of these are also availible
from Azimuth, which I believe is owned and operated by Kit.  He's an excellent
synth. soloist whose playing I believe in many ways surpasses Jan Hammer's.
As far as the Camel album he played on (I Can See Your House From Here)...
not that great.  I'm a pretty big fan of Camel myself and think that ICSYHFH
is pretty poor material, at least when compared to their earlier efforts.

--

		       --Rob Rosen

		       ...ucbvax!rosen
		       rosen@ucb-vax.berkeley.edu

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/08/85)

In article <1919@bmcg.UUCP> urban@bmcg.UUCP (Urban Jangren) writes:

>Kit Watkins used to play in a group called "Happy
>the Man" (1977). He plays the Moog with wonderful
>feeling. He also played on the "I can see you from
>here" (1979) album by "Camel".  ^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^
 ^^^^                            | ||| ||| ||| ||||

I believe the name of the album is I CAN SEE YOUR HOUSE FROM HERE, in reference
to the joke about Christ and the apostle John. The album cover depicted an
astronaut floating in space with the Earth below him. The astronaut is
crucified on a plexiglass cross. (A friend of mine had the album but I never
listened to it, though I have other Camel albums, so I am in no position to
offer any opinions on the music.)

				    Barth Richards
				    Tellabs, Inc.
				    Lisle, IL

				    "If God's up there, we're his excrement."
				    -Ron Geesin