[comp.sources.wanted] Sources for COSMOS

Reference was recently made in sci.astro to a ``COSMOS'' program that
calculates solar, lunar, "and other" events.

I just checked comp.sources.unix, comp.sources.misc, and alt.sources going
back to 3rd qtr 1987 and could not locate that program.

If you know from where ``COSMOS'' can be anonymously uucp'd, please send email
with any particulars (e.g. phone, expect-send, etc.)

If you can email the sources, please send a msg stating you CAN do this!  No
need for eleventy-seven separate emailings of the source!

Thanks in advance!

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

ron@minnow.sp.unisys.com (Ron Burns) (12/15/88)

In article <12478@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Reference was recently made in sci.astro to a ``COSMOS'' program that
>I .... could not locate that program.
>
>Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

Okay, Thad, and anyone else that's interested.  Here is the scoop on the COSMOS
program.

It is an IBM PC XT AT PS/* type program that can be run using CGA EGA VGA Herc.
types of graphics.  EGA or VGA and coprocessor is recommended, but not required.

What it does:

	1) Provides a very clean display of the sky including
		a. select viewing direction (N NE E SE S SW W NW)
		b. select any earthly latitude/longitude to view from
		c. select any time/date between 1700 and 2500 AD
		d. select screen update intervals of:
			real time update
			update by preset increments
				wall clock time (hrs mins sec etc)
				sidereal time (watch the stars stand still and
					the planets move and precess!)
				lunar time (watch the full moons move across
					the sky!)
		e. select magnitude limits for the stars, as you want
			them displayed
		f. select, with a graphic cursor, any object on the screen
			and a window will pop up showing:
				right ascension
				declination
				alti - azimuth
				name
				constellation its in
				magnitude
		g. the option of making objects leave trails behind
			them as they move (great for creating polar
			star exposures and planet presession)
	2) orbital display of the solar system allowing
		a. zoom in and out
		b. same update , trail, time and date options as above.
	3) planetary rise and set times display including "% full"
		same time and date options as above.
	4) planetary positions display showing RA & Dec & Alt-Az
		for all planets with same time and
		date options as above.

The document that comes with it tells how to use everything, and
includes a description of how to set up the options to do several
"experiments" that are interesting.

BEST OF ALL, IT  W O R K S !!!!!!!

I can look out my window, find a star, point to it on my pc screen,
and zoom, there is all the info on it!
The program has data on over 2000 stars and deep space objects.

It even handles US and European daylight savings time.

The version that was posted to the net was a "limited version" and only allowed
dates between 1986 and 1988 to run.  The author is asking  $25  for a full
function copy.  A real bargain, I think.   By comparing my purchased copy to
the original posting, there are several new features added in between.

The latest copy of Sky and Telescope has an ad for a program called
"Exploring the Cosmos" that looks VERY similar, except it does not seem
to have as many features.  It sells for $59.95 or so.  That makes
$25 a pretty good deal.

As far as I know, source code is not available.

The address to send to is:
		Gene Lee
		7500 Colorado Ave
		Brooklyn Park, MN
		           55443

Sorry this is so long, but this is, in my opinion, really worth it.
Any other COSMOS users out there?
Maybe we could start a users group!

Bye now.
--
Ron Burns
Unisys Corporation  UUCP: ...!amdahl!ems!minnow!ron