[comp.sources.wanted] Name that program!

bhoule@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Bill Houle) (12/13/88)

[I can name that program in 3 instructions...]

I have a PD program with no docs (but then again, it really doesn't
need any].  It is a DOS command line editor (circular buffer, arrow
keys cycle through list, ESC clears line, INS/DEL edit keys).  The
one curious feature is that if you press Ctrl-A, an "alias list"
is displayed.  Since I have no idea how to use this feature, the
alias list is obviously empty.  How is this aliasing feature
accessed?

Thanks.

+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
 Bill Houle                                  |   ucsd!ncr-sd!se-sd!bhoule
 NCR, Inc.                                   |   bhoule@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com
 Systems Engineering - San Diego             |   Bill.Houle@sandiego.ncr.com
 9900 Old Grove Road, San Diego, CA  92131   |   (619) 693-5593
+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+

db21@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Beyerl) (12/14/88)

In article <1693@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com>, bhoule@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Bill Houle) writes:

> I have a PD program with no docs (but then again, it really doesn't
> need any].  . . . The one curious feature is that if you press Ctrl-A,
> an "alias list" is displayed.

	The program is most likely dosedit.  Within dosedit you can use
aliases for long program names or command sequences.  The aliases are
given in a file called 'alias' which is invoked on startup, typically
in your autoexec.bat, as 'dosedit alias'.  An entry in this file is of
the form
	alias	name.

For example, if I wanted to use env instead of set to show my
environment, I would include the line
	env	set
in my alias file.  As you found out, you can display the current
aliases by pressing Ctrl-A.
					Dave Beyerl
					ihlpl!db21

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin "auric" Crocker) (12/16/88)

In article <1693@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com>, bhoule@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Bill Houle) writes:

> [I can name that program in 3 instructions...]
>
> I have a PD program with no docs (but then again, it really doesn't
> need any].  It is a DOS command line editor (circular buffer, arrow
> keys cycle through list, ESC clears line, INS/DEL edit keys).  The
> one curious feature is that if you press Ctrl-A, an "alias list"
> is displayed.  Since I have no idea how to use this feature, the
> alias list is obviously empty.  How is this aliasing feature
> accessed?

Bill

everything clicked until the Ctrl-A stuff.  I have a program called
cmd.com that does  DOS command line editing ( circular buffer, arrow
keys cycle through it, ESC clears line, INS/DEL edit keys) but as far
as I know it has no alias capability.  Its a wonderful little program
that I use all, I do mean ALL the time.  It is TSR but only takes up a
little bit of RAM.(2064 bytes)

Hope this helps!

Kevin "Auric" Crocker @Athabasca University {alberta ncc}auvax!kevinc
--
Kevin "Auric" Crocker @Athabasca University {alberta ncc}auvax!kevinc

rick@electro.UUCP (Rick Kozak) (12/17/88)

In article <1693@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com>, bhoule@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Bill Houle) writes:

> [I can name that program in 3 instructions...]
>
> I have a PD program with no docs (but then again, it really doesn't
> need any].  It is a DOS command line editor (circular buffer, arrow
> keys cycle through list, ESC clears line, INS/DEL edit keys).  The
> one curious feature is that if you press Ctrl-A, an "alias list"
> is displayed.  Since I have no idea how to use this feature, the
> alias list is obviously empty.  How is this aliasing feature
> accessed?

>Bill
it is possible that this is a program called DOSEDIT.  (at least, I know
it by that name) If it is, then you need an alias.lst( or alias.def, depending
on the version) file (I think in the
directory from which you invoke it during your autoexec.bat) with the follow
format:
where there are as many (?) as you want.

hope it helps
rick