[comp.sources.wanted] Computer Virus Literature

ray@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas Ray) (12/20/88)

     I am an evolutionary biologist.  I define "life" as "anything that
can reproduce itself".  Because computer viruses fall into this category,
I would like to study their evolution.  I am interested in viruses that
are capable of mutating or incorporating code from their environment.
If you know of any literature on the subject, please post me the
references by e-mail.
				 Thank you,

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (12/22/88)

In article <2579@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> ray@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas Ray) writes:

>     I am an evolutionary biologist.  I define "life" as "anything that
>can reproduce itself".  Because computer viruses fall into this category,
>I would like to study their evolution.

Currently, viruses do not 'evolve'. While the similarity gives rise to
comparisons of a biological nature, extrapolation must be restricted to
only those lines of thought which are relevant. Computers are *dead*. If
there is any modificatiopn done, it is sheerly within the limitations of
the imagination of the programmer.

Writing a self-modifying program is still in the realm of science fiction.
Oh, I dare say a few colleges have done experimental research on the topic,
but if they had anything serious it would be being discussed and cited on
a daily basis in newsgroups far and wide ...

Wait five years, and ask again.

-- richard

--
 *          "... where there is no movement, there is no perception."         *
 *                    Ribot, _The Psychology of Attention_                    *

ray@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas Ray) (12/23/88)

     The environment that biological organisms live in is dead, like
the computer.  The organisms may none-the-less be alive, whether
their code is DNA or machine code.  It is not the environment
that is alive, but the organism.  Computer viruses may be alive even
if the computer is dead.

     Computer programs that reproduce may technically fit the simple
definition of life, "anything that reproduces", but they are not
biologically interesting unless they can adapt to their environment,
that is, evolve.  This would require self mutation, or the incorporation
of code from the environment, tested by the process of natural
selection (anything else I haven't thought of?).

Richard Childers:
     I tried to post to you by e-mail, but it didn't get through.
You seem to know something about the subject, could you send
me literature citations?  You state: "Oh, I dare say a few
colleges have done experimental research on the topic".  What were
the results of their experiments?  Have they been published?

                                  Tom Ray
        Life & Health Sciences - Univ. of Delaware - Newark, DE  19716
                                302-451-2753