[comp.sources.wanted] Looking for dbm

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (01/08/89)

I'm running a newsfeed onto my 386 machine and rnews is taking its
disk for a spin. I'm told that I need to use the dbm library and this
will make things much better.

So, would someone tell me where to find it?

---
Bill
{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (01/09/89)

In article <306@twwells.uucp> bill@twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
>I'm running a newsfeed onto my 386 machine and rnews is taking its
>disk for a spin. I'm told that I need to use the dbm library and this
>will make things much better.

I guess you aren't running SCO Xenix on that 386 box.  Hmmm.  You
will have to wait for Teenage-Mutant-Ninja news to arrive in order
to get a free dbm.

>So, would someone tell me where to find it?

You run the comp.archives group and you can't find something?
Somethings is seriously wrong here ;-)
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the Week:-------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  |"Now with 12 percent less fat than

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (01/10/89)

In article <10802@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
: I guess you aren't running SCO Xenix on that 386 box.  Hmmm.  You
: will have to wait for Teenage-Mutant-Ninja news to arrive in order
: to get a free dbm.

Right you are, it's Microport. But I do recall that someone has
written dbm, or enough of it for news; with any luck, I'll hear from
someone about it.

: >So, would someone tell me where to find it?
:
: You run the comp.archives group and you can't find something?
: Somethings is seriously wrong here ;-)

The problem is that it isn't in any of the indexes I have and since I
have indexes for most everything that has been posted, I presume it
hasn't been posted. This means either calling every system I have
listed (expensive!) or asking.

Eventually, I'll get around to getting listings from archive sites
and then posting them. That should make life easier for all.
Speaking of which, I haven't recently seen one of your listings either
in this group or mine; would you care to send one to me? I'll post it.
(Even if it isn't in my fancy format. Anything is better than
nothing.)

---
Bill
{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (01/10/89)

Terry Hull, ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu!eecea!terry, sent me a copy of Jon
Zeeff's, umix!b-tech!zeeff, dbz.c. This is not a complete dbm
replacement, but it is sufficient for the news software.

Thanks guys.

---

frk@frksyv.UUCP (Frank Korzeniewski) (01/11/89)

In article <315@twwells.uucp> bill@twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
>Terry Hull, ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu!eecea!terry, sent me a copy of Jon
>Zeeff's, umix!b-tech!zeeff, dbz.c. This is not a complete dbm
>replacement, but it is sufficient for the news software.
>Thanks guys.
>Bill
>{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill

I have rebuilt news with it and it created lots of tmp files instead of
entering the articles in the new dirs. looking over the code, the dbm init
routine does not create the "history.pag" index file if it does not exist.
YOU must do this and then it all works.

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (01/12/89)

In article <376@frksyv.UUCP> frk@frksyv.UUCP (Frank Korzeniewski) writes:
: I have rebuilt news with it and it created lots of tmp files instead of
: entering the articles in the new dirs. looking over the code, the dbm init
: routine does not create the "history.pag" index file if it does not exist.
: YOU must do this and then it all works.

What I did was to delete my old history directory and run expire -r.
That created a new set of history files. BTW, this dbminit routine is
just following its spec: the dbm routines are defined to not create
those files.

---

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer) (01/12/89)

In article <315@twwells.uucp> bill@twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
>...dbz.c. This is not a complete dbm
>replacement, but it is sufficient for the news software.

A note for people running System V/386, enabling DBM routines caused the post
optimizer to generate some bad code.  The symptom was that the ID information
that's written into the history file is trashed, consequently duplicate
articles aren't rejected, etc.  My solution was to compile without -O.
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl	"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
-- karl@ficc.uu.net	encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (01/15/89)

In article <2707@ficc.uu.net> karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer) writes:
: In article <315@twwells.uucp> bill@twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
: >...dbz.c. This is not a complete dbm
: >replacement, but it is sufficient for the news software.
:
: A note for people running System V/386, enabling DBM routines caused the post
: optimizer to generate some bad code.  The symptom was that the ID information
: that's written into the history file is trashed, consequently duplicate
: articles aren't rejected, etc.  My solution was to compile without -O.

I'm using Microport's latest Unix (3.0e) which has the Green Hills
compiler along with the regular one. I use that and my history file
seems OK.

---