[comp.sources.wanted] Wanted MicroGnu Emacs

lippolt@dnlunx.UUCP (Ben Lippolt) (01/13/89)

On the Macintosh and Atari-ST I use a GNU-Emacs compatible editor called
MG (= MicroGnu Emacs). Does this editor (or a similar one) exist for
MS-DOS, MINIX and/or SUN-UNIX?  Sources (preferably the same for all three
systems) or instructions on how to obtain them would be very much appreciated.
I cannot ftp, but the address of a UUCP or BITNET server would probably do.

Thanks,

Ben Lippolt, PTT Netherlands, Neher Laboratories.

BITNET/EARN: lippolt@hlsdnl5          UUCP: {backbone}!hp4nl!dnlunx!lippolt

-----------

kevinm@rtech.UUCP (Kevin Malloy) (01/19/89)

From article <487@dnlunx.UUCP>, by lippolt@dnlunx.UUCP (Ben Lippolt):

> On the Macintosh and Atari-ST I use a GNU-Emacs compatible editor called
> MG (= MicroGnu Emacs). Does this editor (or a similar one) exist for
> MS-DOS, MINIX and/or SUN-UNIX?  Sources (preferably the same for all three
> systems) or instructions on how to obtain them would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben Lippolt, PTT Netherlands, Neher Laboratories.
>
> BITNET/EARN: lippolt@hlsdnl5          UUCP: {backbone}!hp4nl!dnlunx!lippolt
>
> -----------
I would appreciate the same information.

Kevin Malloy

but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep
and miles to go before I sleep
excerpt from: "Stopping By The Woods On A Snowy Evening" -- Robert Frost

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (01/19/89)

In article <2602@rtech.rtech.com>, kevinm@rtech (Kevin Malloy) writes:
F>From article <487@dnlunx.UUCP>, by lippolt@dnlunx.UUCP (Ben Lippolt):
>>
>> On the Macintosh and Atari-ST I use a GNU-Emacs compatible editor called
>> MG (= MicroGnu Emacs). Does this editor (or a similar one) exist for
>> MS-DOS, MINIX and/or SUN-UNIX?
>I would appreciate the same information.

Befoe the requests pile up too deeply, MG is written to be portable
across a large range of machines.  The sources for version 1a are
available on the comp.sources.unix archive at uunet.  They imply
support the following systems:

# distribution note: This distribution of mg 1a is 11 shar files:
#	mg_1.shar through mg_5.shar	system indepentend, termcap,
#					bsd, sysv, and osk files.
#	mg_amiga1.shar, mg_amiga2.shar	amiga specific files
#	mg_vms1.shar through mg_vms4.shar
#					vms and eunice specific files.

The contacts list at that time (Nov 1986) looked like:

Amiga Lattice C:	Mike Meyer:
	mwm@berkeley.edu
	ucbvax!mwm

Amiga Manx C & VMS:	Mic Kaczmarczik:
	ut-sally!ut-ngp!mic
	mic@ngp.utexas.edu
	CCEP001@UTADNX.BITNET

OSK & BSD:	Bob Larson:
	blarson@usc-oberon.arpa
	sdcrdcf!usc-oberon!blarson

Now there is a version 2a available, but I didn't see it in
comp.sources.unix yet, and comp.sources.misc didn't turn up anything.
I think the new version covers more machines.
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr

piet@ruuinf (Piet van Oostrum) (01/19/89)

In article <487@dnlunx.UUCP>, lippolt@dnlunx (Ben Lippolt) writes:
 `
 `On the Macintosh and Atari-ST I use a GNU-Emacs compatible editor called
 `MG (= MicroGnu Emacs). Does this editor (or a similar one) exist for
 `MS-DOS, MINIX and/or SUN-UNIX?

This is from the README file: (version 2a -- May 1988)

    These systems are known to work in the current version:

	    4.2 & 4.3 BSD Unix, SunOs 3.2, Ultrix-32
	    System V
	    OS9/68k
	    VMS
	    Amiga
	    Primos
	    Atari ST

    Ms-Dos support is planned, but did not get done in time for this
    release.  (Jeff Siegal <jbs@eddie.mit.edu> was the one doing it.)
    The Ms-Dos files will probably be distributed seperatly when it
    becomes available.

				  Sources (preferably the same for all three
 `systems) or instructions on how to obtain them would be very much appreciated.
 `I cannot ftp, but the address of a UUCP or BITNET server would probably do.
 `
They are on lakesys!netlib:
mg2a/part.uaa		880712	Version 2a MicroGnuEmacs
mg2a/part.uab		880712	Version 2a MicroGnuEmacs
mg2a/part.uac		880712	Version 2a MicroGnuEmacs
mg2a/part.uad		880712	Version 2a MicroGnuEmacs

I have sources, but I don't know if they are up to date.
(They are from 15 May 1988)
--
Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (01/20/89)

In article <34772@bbn.COM> jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) writes:
>>From article <487@dnlunx.UUCP>, by lippolt@dnlunx.UUCP (Ben Lippolt):
>>>
>>> On the Macintosh and Atari-ST I use a GNU-Emacs compatible editor called
>>> MG (= MicroGnu Emacs).

Mg for the mac, if it exists, is not part of the standard distribution,
and has not been sent back to the original group.

>Befoe the requests pile up too deeply, MG is written to be portable
>across a large range of machines.  The sources for version 1a are
>available on the comp.sources.unix archive at uunet.

1b was only distributed via anonymous ftp.

2a was distributed via comp.sources.misc (about april 1988), and
should be available from any comp.sources.misc archive.  (uunet is
no longer one.)  The msdos support was late, and was distributed
latter via the same group.

Supported systems include unix (bsd and sys V), os9/68k, atari st,
vms, primos, amiga, and msdos.  (eunice and cpm/68k support have been
dropped.)

Improved kill buffer code, the msdos support, and bug fixes for both
are available for ftp from ecla.usc.edu in the ps:<blarson.mg> directory.
Ecla will not let you cd, do a dir then get the entire name or
mget ps:<blarson.mg>*.* .  Ecla is on milnet, try again when the net
is idle if you get timeout problems.

Bug reports, etc. can be sent to mg-support%ais1@ecla.usc.edu .

If you need the fixes for primos rev 22, send me mail.
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson
Prime mailing list:	info-prime-request%ais1@ecla.usc.edu
			oberon!ais1!info-prime-request

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (01/20/89)

In article <997@ruuinf.UUCP>, piet@ruuinf (Piet van Oostrum) writes:
>In article <487@dnlunx.UUCP>, lippolt@dnlunx (Ben Lippolt) writes:
>    Ms-Dos support is planned, but did not get done in time for this
>    release.  (Jeff Siegal <jbs@eddie.mit.edu> was the one doing it.)
>    The Ms-Dos files will probably be distributed seperatly when it
>    becomes available.

I also got the following message on the side:

  Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 16:04:08 EST
  From: Bao Trinh <ames!mailrus!mimsy.umd.edu!bao@uunet.UU.NET>
  Subject: Re: Wanted MicroGnu Emacs

  I just thought you might want to know this. Mg2a is available on Simtel20
  [officially known as wsmr-simtel20.army.mil / 26.0.0.74] in the directory
  pd2:<unix-c.editors> as Mg2a.tar-Z and Mg2a-Dos.shar-Z.

  - Bao -

The shar named above implies that dos support is done, at least in
some form.  But I would suggest contacting Jeff Siegal first.
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr