[comp.sources.wanted] RCS...is it PD?

uucibg@sw1e.UUCP (3929] Brian Gilstrap) (01/23/89)

I was recently told that RCS is public domain or copyleft or some such thing.
Is this correct?  If so, is it available via UUCP somewhere?  If so, what does
it require as far as OS and such (e.g. BSD versus System V)?

Thanks,

Brian R. Gilstrap                          Southwestern Bell Telephone
One Bell Center Rm 17-G-4                  ...!ames!killer!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
St. Louis, MO 63101                        ...!bellcore!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
(314) 235-3929
#include <std_disclaimers.h>

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (01/24/89)

uucibg@sw1e.UUCP (3929] Brian Gilstrap) writes:
   I was recently told that RCS is public domain or copyleft or some
   such thing.  Is this correct?  If so, is it available via UUCP
   somewhere?  If so, what does it require as far as OS and such (e.g.
   BSD versus System V)?

Apparently.  Yes, osu-cis.  I don't know.

See comp.archives for details on getting the instructions for access
to the stuff available from osu-cis.  Or drop me a note and I'll mail
them to you.

--Karl

wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) (01/25/89)

From article <KARL.89Jan24093214@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu>, by karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste):
> uucibg@sw1e.UUCP (3929] Brian Gilstrap) writes:
>    I was recently told that RCS is public domain or copyleft or some
>    such thing.  Is this correct?  If so, is it available via UUCP
>    somewhere?  If so, what does it require as far as OS and such (e.g.
>    BSD versus System V)?
>
> Apparently.  Yes, osu-cis.  I don't know.

NO NO NO.  It is copyrighted by Walter Tiche at Purdue University.  If you
want a email address I will dig it up.  It includes some AT&T source, thus
you must have a AT&T source license and he requires you to provide proof
of this.

AND YES I Have the source code .....

Questions, as always send email to:

Jeff Wolford
att!iwsag!jww
att!ihlpa!wolfordj

harvard-+

ucbvax--+---- att --+ iwsag!jww

decvax--+

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (01/27/89)

>It includes some AT&T source, thus you must have a AT&T source license
>and he requires you to provide proof of this.

Are you certain that this is still the case?  RCS, *per se*, includes no
AT&T source code, as far as I know.  It *does* require that you have a
"diff" that supports the "-n" option, and I think that at one point RCS
came with a modified version of the 4.1BSD "diff" (derived from the V7
"diff", and thus chock-full of AT&T source) that supported this.
However, the 4.3BSD "diff" supports "-n", so if your system has that you
don't need an upgraded "diff" (SunOS 3.2 and later, for example, have
that "diff"), and some of the publicly-available versions of "diff" may
do so as well.

piet@ruuinf (Piet van Oostrum) (01/27/89)

I found this in the version I have (a rather old one):

# Copyright (C) 1982 by Walter F. Tichy
#                       Purdue University
#                       Computer Science Department
#                       West Lafayette, IN 47907
#
# All rights reserved. No part of this software may be sold or distributed
# in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the
# author.
# Report problems and direct all inquiries to
# tichy@purdue, tichy@purdue-tcp, decvax!pur-ee!purdue!tichy
--
Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands

wisner@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bill Wisner) (01/30/89)

I ported RCS to System V. It was pretty straightforward, although it does
require a diff capable of generating context diffs. I recommend GNU diff.
In fact, I recommend torching the distributed System V diff and replacing
it with GNU diff.

(For that matter, get a load of GNU grep. Context grep!)