[comp.sources.wanted] Postscript to PCL

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (02/10/89)

In article <131400002@cpe> tif@cpe.UUCP (Paul Chamberlain) writes:
>>In article <834@xilinx.UUCP> kevin@xilinx.UUCP (Kevin Kelleher) writes:
>>>I am looking for a program which will convert Postscript to
>>>HP-GL for output on a HP Laserwriter II.
>>
>>In any case, I don't think it makes sense to go from PostScript to HPGL.

This is true.

>It makes perfect sense to all of us that have Laserjets and wish we
>had Postscript.

Sorry about this, but I have to point out that LaserJets do not use
HP-GL -- this is HP's plotter language, and supports vector (and now
some raster) image generation.  Like most HP printers, LaserJets use
PCL, HP's Printer Command Language, and support it to level 3.  I presume
this is what everyone actually means.

Having said that, I too would like to acquire something which would
allow me to generate PostScript output on my LaserJets without spending
the cost of the printers again to get it -- we do have ghostscript, and
we're thinking of making it generate a raster dump in LaserJet form, but
it doesn't look like a one-night job, and we're *busy*.  Anyone else
trying this?

--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217