[comp.sources.wanted] TeX Typesetting system for the Mac

paulson@dvinci.USask.CA (Ken V. Paulson) (02/09/89)

Hello;
I'm writing my PhD thesis and I'm currently doing everything but
typesetting (we have to use TeX(ture), the typesetting system) on
a Mac. I like to get down to using one machine but the purchasing prise
for TeX (approx. $600) is unfortunatly too expensive.

I have however, heard about a public domain version floating around
somewhere. Is that right and if, does anybody know where I can
get hold of it.

Any answer appreciated, and please reply to me personally (since I'm
not a reliable news reader).

Thanks.
		-rolf
"Frustrations are inversly proportional to the size of the problem."

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (02/11/89)

In article <1724@dvinci.USask.CA> paulson@dvinci.USask.CA (Ken V. Paulson) writes:
>Hello;
>I'm writing my PhD thesis and I'm currently doing everything but
>typesetting (we have to use TeX(ture), the typesetting system) on
>a Mac. I like to get down to using one machine but the purchasing prise
>for TeX (approx. $600) is unfortunatly too expensive.
>
>I have however, heard about a public domain version floating around
>somewhere. Is that right and if, does anybody know where I can
>get hold of it.
[...]

First of all, where did you get the price? TeXtures is about $250.-
mail order. Some campuses have site licences. Here at the University
of Texas one can buy the full package (including LaTeX) for $150.-

Also, there is to my knowledge no such thing as a public
domain/shareware version of TeX for the Mac.

Edgar Knapp

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)