[comp.sources.wanted] Mandelbrot

rhodes@unccvax.UUCP (Terry Rhodes) (04/15/89)

Where can I find a good Mandelbrot program?
The only ones I have found so far take 3 hours to generate a screen.

I am running it on an 80286 10mhz with VGA.

I looked in the Simtel Archives but had no luck getting a good program.

Thanks for the info.

Terry

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (04/17/89)

In article <1434@unccvax.UUCP> rhodes@unccvax.UUCP (Terry Rhodes) writes:
>Where can I find a good Mandelbrot program?
>The only ones I have found so far take 3 hours to generate a screen.
>
>I am running it on an 80286 10mhz with VGA.
>
>I looked in the Simtel Archives but had no luck getting a good program.

I got a great program from the IBMNEW forum of Compu$erve called FRAINT.ARC,
which contains FRACTINT.EXE.  This program knows VGA, CGA, EGA and many
"Extended" modes of screen operation. (Hercules?).  Anyway, this program
FLIES, because it uses 32-bit integer math on 386's and emulates this with
16-bit integer math on 286's/88's.  In any case, it is FAR faster than any
other program I've ever seen on my XT clone, and on my BBS's 386 it whips
screens out somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 seconds. (Yes, really!)

+----------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Andy Silverman | Internet:   silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu |
|     "Why?"     | Compu$erve: 72261,531                   |

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (04/17/89)

In article <1434@unccvax.UUCP> rhodes@unccvax.UUCP (Terry Rhodes) writes:
| Where can I find a good Mandelbrot program?
| The only ones I have found so far take 3 hours to generate a screen.

  I recommend Fractal Magic, advertized every few weeks in the back of
_Info World_. If you don't have a math chip it will be slow pretty mush
whatever program you use.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)