[comp.sources.wanted] Kernighan & Pike "hoc" wanted

terry@tah386.UUCP (Terry Hull) (04/21/89)

In article <11531@cgl.ucsf.EDU> bic@cgl.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Bruce Cohen) writes:
>I am going through (Kernighan & Pike)'s book _The UNIX Programming
>Environment_.  An interesting chapter demonstrates the development of
>a calculator program which uses YACC.  The final version is over 800
>lines of code which I would rather not enter.
>
>Does anyone have a pointer to the source?

Yes, I do have the sources.  In fact, I am basing my masters thesis on this
piece of code.  My question is, can I legally make copyrighted material
available in machine readable form?  If so, what are the restrictions?

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (04/21/89)

In article <532@tah386.UUCP> terry@tah386.UUCP (Terry Hull) writes:

>Yes, I do have the sources. ...
> ...	 My question is, can I legally make copyrighted material
>available in machine readable form?  If so, what are the restrictions?

This code was posted to the greater usenet (net.sources) a few years
back. To my knowledge, no problems arose from the distribution, and
no copyright-related challenges were made. I believe it is OK for
you to send the code. If you do not, somebody else will anyway.

oz
--
use the source, luke !!     		Usenet:    oz@nexus.yorku.ca
uh... we forgot to tell you...       	......!uunet!utai!yunexus!oz

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (04/25/89)

In article <11531@cgl.ucsf.EDU> bic@cgl.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Bruce Cohen) writes:
>I am going through (Kernighan & Pike)'s book _The UNIX Programming
>Environment_.  An interesting chapter demonstrates the development of
>a calculator program which uses YACC.  The final version is over 800
>lines of code which I would rather not enter.
>Does anyone have a pointer to the source?

If you twist my arm ever so gently, I'll e-mail you my hoc source code.
But entering all those lines was part of my very first learning
experiences, and I'd hate to think that you would voluntarily deprive
yourself of both the pain and the joy, not to mention the education that
comes from making the effort.

I'm not flaming, just suggesting that it might be a minor disfavor to send
you the stuff :-)
--
Jean-Pierre Radley		Honi soit		jpr@dasys1.UUCP
New York, New York		qui mal			...!hombre!jpradley!jpr