[comp.sources.wanted] Free form PC Database?

mrwittma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin R. Wittmann) (04/25/89)

Imagine that you have a paper (or thesis) to write, and you would like
a PC equivalent of a stack of 3x5'' cards on which to write notes,
references, etc.  Naturally, since it is computerized, you want to be
able to quickly sort or find things in your cards, and perhaps create
links between cards.

Sounds something like HyperCard, huh?

Where can one find such a program, either PD, shareware, or moderately
priced?  BTW, is there anything in the **ix  world which will do the
same or similar?

Thanks!!		mrwittma@phoenix.princeton.edu

mlindsey@x102c.harris-atd.com (Lindsey MS 04396) (04/25/89)

In article <7940@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mrwittma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin R. Wittmann) writes:
>Imagine that you have a paper (or thesis) to write, and you would like
>a PC equivalent of a stack of 3x5'' cards on which to write notes,
>references, etc.  Naturally, since it is computerized, you want to be
>able to quickly sort or find things in your cards, and perhaps create
>links between cards.
>
>Where can one find such a program, either PD, shareware, or moderately
>priced?

There is a package called "A Novel Approach" that sells for $49.95 that
does just what you are describing.  It is described as a "Book Writer's
Workbench and Journal of Thoughts."  This package runs on IBM PC's and
compatables.  A demo disk and manual costs $10, and may be applied toward
purchase of the complete program.

The address for information and orders is:

	Words & Moore, Inc.
	PO Box 2381
	Melbourne, Florida  32902

-------------------

"The only difference between a madman and myself is that I am not mad"   S. Dali
"If the shoe fits, buy it!"	Imelda Marcos.
Steve Lindsey		|-)	uunet!x102a!mlindsey
(407) 727-5893		:-)	mlindsey@x102a.harris-atd.com

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (04/26/89)

In article <1965@trantor.harris-atd.com> mlindsey@x102c.harris-atd.com (Lindsey MS 04396) writes:
>In article <7940@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mrwittma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin R. Wittmann) writes:
>>Imagine that you have a paper (or thesis) to write, and you would like
>>a PC equivalent of a stack of 3x5'' cards on which to write notes,

You might look at "Bibliofile," COMPUTERS AND THE HUMANITIES 18 (1984):
71-85 for a description of my system of **IX tools for the type of task
you describe.  This system is now available in Sco Xenix, UNIX, Ultrix,
and MSDOS versions.

Note:  this is an explicitly **IX style system - strictly text and composed
of distinct tools (ked, the editor; kord, the sort utility; kawk, the forms
generator).  It is strictly text but is completely free form on individual
record and field size.  It is currently running on machines ranging from
XT clones to an 8800 series Vax with a Sun or two inbetween.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck