[comp.sources.wanted] PD Diff, anyone?

hjfeld@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Harold J. Feld) (04/24/89)

I'm looking for a public domain diff, which I can port to MVS.
We have been using xcompare on CMS, but there seems to be no
file comparison utility on MVS.
                          Jon Baker
                          jjb3281@acf16.nyu.edu
                          (news software at my site doesnt work too good)

bink@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ubben Greg) (04/30/89)

In article <7932@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> hjfeld@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Harold J. Feld) writes:
> I'm looking for a public domain diff, which I can port to MVS.
> We have been using xcompare on CMS, but there seems to be no
> file comparison utility on MVS.

Though it certainly won't replace the standard line-oriented diff, I can
supply you with a character-wise diff program (cdiff.c) I hacked up one night
to compare two binaries, and its nroff'able man entry.  Right now it reports
inserted, deleted, and changed character sequences in unambiguous text format,
along with their byte offsets, but it shouldn't be too hard to change this
format.

Don't let the word "hack" scare you off -- I have relatively high standards
for my hacks.  It just means it was written in one session, not given any
options other than for the task at hand, and was not highly commented.  I am
satisfied it is correct.  I'm not happy enough with it to post it though, so
anyone who wants a copy must request it.

						-- Greg Ubben
						   bink@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu